We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

If I am making a changing mat

(8 Posts)
Awakeagain Tue 11-Jun-13 13:24:34

For my bag (as the one I have is rubbish)
What material would you recommend? Is it oil cloth? Then is wipe clean and then maybe just a cotton on the otherside?

AWimbaWay Tue 11-Jun-13 14:23:04

I think I would do toweling one side, oil cloth the other, that way you have a choice. The toweling will make it a bit more cushioned if you ever have to use it on the floor, and you'll be able to put it oil cloth side down if you feel it needs protecting more from the floor than the bottom! Toweling tends to wash well too, can you put oil cloth through a machine? I''m not sure you can. I'd be tempted to find a machine proof material, make two and rotate them.

Awakeagain Tue 11-Jun-13 16:05:29

I found a PVC that had been sewn into a bag in the shop so decided to give that a try
Will do towelling as the other side I think
Thanks grin

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 11-Jun-13 16:41:45

You could use toweling one side and a cotton print on the other.

Awakeagain Tue 11-Jun-13 20:37:43

I have towelling one side and cotton the other already but if it gets anything on it I can't just wipe it clean which means if we are out and about it stays dirty hmmwiped as much as possible but hoping a wipe clean one will be better

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:18:34

http://www.plushaddict.co.uk/patterned-pul-297-c.asp

what about backing the towelling with PUL it will be machine washable then.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:18:50

Would PUL fabric be suitable for bag making? I want to make an oilcloth style bag but it needs to be washable too. DD has had far too many long forgotten squashed banana in the bottom of the school bag incidents!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now