Knitting project book recommendations for a novice?

(19 Posts)
Peggydoll Wed 19-Jun-13 21:07:25

Thanks, I'll browse ravelry again then. I suppose bags, gadget cases, wraps, (kids) hats, cushions and other easy decorative things. I like the idea of mug hugs just for something to do with practice patches. I noticed the post with someone asking about blankets made from squares so I'll follow those links too- I have a bag of unallocated crochet squares already. May as well add to it ;)

What sort of accessories do you want to make? For hats, I recommend Woolly Wormhead patterns, she is a hat magician.

For scarves/wraps then Ravelry probably best, as I have never bought a book of just nice scarfy things. There are some fab free ones, like Saroyan

http://www.lifeincleveland.com/2008/03/mmmalabrigo-glovies.html Popular free fingerless mitts pattern

Mug hugs/coffee cozies/tea cozies are good small things to practice with too.

But if you tell me what you want to make, I bet I can find you a starter pattern to try smile

Peggydoll Wed 19-Jun-13 07:41:18

Urgh! Have I built a bandwagon for people to jump on?!? confused

But seriously, does no one have any good book recommendations for beginner+ projects? (I prefer making accessories to clothing really ) or do you all use ravelry? The world really is going cyber!

I may just get Nitty Gritty to flick through, just to shut amazon up ;)

Mind you it's a bit immaterial atm cos I've hardly had time to crochet recently never mind perfect my knitting...

hmm Another new poster promoting the same book.

If you read the other posts, Josiejo22 then someone else has already promoted suggested that book, and I have pointed out it is available from The Book People much cheaper. I haven't seen it though, so can't recommend as such.

Josiejo22 Thu 13-Jun-13 17:13:33

Hi,
Just reading through some of your posts. My friend has recently published a gorgeous book. It is called Sweet Knits: 30 Cute Designs for Kids by Catherine Graham-Evans. It is available from Amazon.co.uk
It has some beautiful pieces in there with really easy to follow patterns.
:-)

Between Ravelry, MN and wool buying I hardly have any time left to knit smile

Peggydoll Sat 08-Jun-13 15:45:30

Ooh the Book People are fab. They come in to work too. And we have a Works in town. Hadn't thought to look there. I can see I'm going to use my spare time sourcing ideas without leaving me any time to put them in to practice.....

That 'Sweet Knits' book is available from The Book People for £3.99 at the moment. TBP often have good deals on knitting books, as does The Works.

I have the Knitty Gritty book. It has lots of fans, but I am not very fussed on it TBH.
Magazines wise - Knit Now is the least grannyish IMHO. Not that many beginner projects in it though. But modern designs and some right gems on occasion.

Knit Today, and Let's Knit are really cheesy. Simply Knitting ok at times but verging towards cheese. The Knitter is sometimes fab, sometimes leaves me cold, is not really for beginners.

www.amazon.co.uk/Knitters-Bible-Simple-Baby-Knits/dp/0715337661 Nice baby knits book

Peggydoll Sat 08-Jun-13 12:40:17

Ooh that looks like a nice book!

I suppose free patterns are the way to go til I work out what I like doing, so I'll browse ravelry some more for ideas, but I am a sucker for a beautiful book- they make me feel more enthused than websites somehow! Having said that, I've been in waterstones this morning but came away with bothing but feeling a bit boggled by the choice.

Has anyone got the "knitty gritty" one? And what about knitting magazines? I want to avoid the "granny" style ones really...

teacupnsaucer Sat 08-Jun-13 09:10:02

Hello
I've just got into knitting in the last year or so, but with two boys I only occasionally get the chance to actually concentrate on anything, so I'm still on the basics really!
I totally know what you mean about the never ending scarf stage lol, are you looking for free stuff on the net or are you looking to buy a nice book?
I have relied on You Tube tutorials mainly, it would seem that you can copy anyone making anything on there, it's great and I never would have got off the starting blocks without it.
My mum's got some great patterns off Ravelry, she's totally into making mary-jane booties for babies, they're so cute, but I think the best patterns she had to pay for.
If you are looking for a book, Mum's just bought me a really gorgeous book called Sweet Knits: 30 Cute Designs For Kids, and it's full of lovely bits which your girls would absolutely adore! A lot of it is pretty simple, and the explanations are good, but there are some harder things like kids tops and dresses to work up to. It's totally different from the usual knitting book, there are patterns for all sorts of things, but my favourite is the whole tea party set, teapots, cups, cakes and biscuits, which is so much fun, even my boys love playing teasets! I'll find the link, as I'm sure mum got it off Amazon....
....back again, here's the link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweet-Knits-Cute-Designs-Kids/dp/1408171945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370677746&sr=8-1&keywords=sweet+knits

Good luck with it all, hope you find something you like :-)

www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/sublime-625-the-most-sublime-accessories-book
sublime pattern books of hats scarves mitts. All simple. in DK wool.

Peggydoll Fri 07-Jun-13 21:23:58

Ooooh. I like the wrist warmers especially. This is not gong to help my growing yarn obsession either ;-) Nor the need to buy nice boxes to store it in !

Peggydoll Fri 07-Jun-13 21:05:32

Thank you :-)

Ravelry first, of course! Give the advanced search a go, it's great. Maybe search for items that are easy - 1 to 3 stars for difficulty, and 'free' and 'knitting' and say 500 yards - have a leaf through.

I have only done a couple of scarves - too boring. Hats are good - quick to finish, good way to learn new skills like knitting in the round, cables, lace, and don't need a million pounds worth of yarn.

I like hats and baby stuff most.

Natural Nursery by Erika Knight is nice for baby things, as is baby knits for beginners - Debbie Bliss.

Sublime do lovely pattern books for babies that are very suitable for beginning, knitted in pieces so so knitting in the round yet. You can use a cheaper wool instead, esp when practising. I'll pm you my Ravelry name, you can add me as a friend and look through my library!

Peggydoll Fri 07-Jun-13 20:27:32

I've looked on ravelry for crochet ideas. Hadn't thought for knitting blush- said I was a novice!! I'll have a look.

I suppose I'm not really sure what I want to knit. I'd like to move beyond the never-ending scarf phase, but am probably not ready for anything too tricky. With crochet I've made amigurumi (toys), bags, purses, gadget cases, pots, a hat, mini keyrings, granny square projects (obviously!). I'm about to try a summer top. I now find I can browse my coffee-table crochet books and not feel too daunted by previously scary ideas smile

I suppose I'm looking for the equivalent type of knitting book(s) but without going overboard on ones that end up being no good iykwim?

Any with "what to do when you've gone completely wrong" tips would be handy.... confused

Thanks

What would you like to knit? Adult garments, baby stuff, accessories?

I have shitloads of knitting books!

Are you on Ravelry yet?

Peggydoll Fri 07-Jun-13 12:15:04

Hello.

This is my first post on this board, but I've recently learned to crochet and am now completely hooked. I've also got a bit obsessed with the lovely crochet books recommended by a similarly hooked friend (the Nikki Trench books really got me going). I've started by making things for my girls (age 6&7) because they don't notice my mistakes! and am now getting more confident and adventurous for myself.

Anyway, I'd really like to give knitting another go (have you-tubed the basics, and am looking out for any knit and natter groups) I do love browsing books but want to avoid spending a bomb on another load (OH is starting to notice my growing stash of crochet books!!) I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for knitting books that would be simple enough to get me going, would give me a purpose and would be a bit aspirational (but not scary!) for if I ever get beyond the basics.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now