We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

40cm circular needles

(10 Posts)
Purlesque Fri 07-Jun-13 06:29:11

Tribot thanks I could try that.

tribpot Thu 06-Jun-13 13:50:27

No, it's pretty easy. Easier than knitting on DPNs I think - although when I did my class on circular knitting the room was pretty evenly divided about which technique they preferred.

I don't think 40 stitches will go on a 40cm needle very easily at all. I'd be tempted to knit a few rows flat and then try it when it's got a few more rows and is more elastic.

I have a set of the KnitPro interchangeable needles, and I love it - though I have managed to break one of the needles (and not a really fine one either), so when I buy extra needle points for the set, I will be getting metal ones.

I have never done magic loop, but people at the knitting group I go to do it, and make it look easy. Not very helpful - sorry.

Purlesque Thu 06-Jun-13 09:44:03

Yes I'd like interchangeable too.

I do tend to knit quite tightly, I'll try again. I also used acrylic as a practice and that sometimes doesn't stretch as well.

I'll try again, thanks.

Is magic loop difficult?

fossil971 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:48:06

Magic loop you need a much longer circular needle. Honest I can see the attraction of a set of interchangeable needles.

fossil971 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:47:24

Actually I just bought a 40cm ADDI circular needle and it was delivered today. I don't often knit that short but I can see it will just about work OK.

Magic loop , two circulars (pricy to get two in the same size!), double point needles or knit flat are your options.

Just a thought - have you cast on too tightly? Sometimes if you knit a couple of rows back and forth, it loosens up the cast on, and then you can carry on in the round and sort out the little gap when you darn in the end.

You can get short circular needles (the actual needle part has a bend in it as we'll as being shorter, to enable you to knit in small circles) from a company called Addi. I have used them, and fou d them a bit fiddly at first, but got used to them quite quickly.

Alternatively you could use double pointed needles - like knitting socks.

Dutchoma Wed 05-Jun-13 20:12:22

Or you use straight needles and do plain and purl rows and a little seam up the side.

tribpot Wed 05-Jun-13 19:39:27

There are no shorter needles! (In fact I think you can get some eensy-weensy circulars but you don't want them really)

You need to use Magic loop although to be honest it'll be a bit of an arse to do with such a short circular. I would go for the varient called Travelling Loop.

Purlesque Wed 05-Jun-13 19:36:49

I'm trying to knit child's leg warmers which says I need to cast on 40 stitches. But I can't join the ends. It says 40cm circular needle in the pattern. What am I doing wrong or do I need a shorter needle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now