We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Tension question

(5 Posts)
bigbuttons Tue 04-Jun-13 21:15:06

think about it. if you knit loosely there is ore space between your stitches so if you are using a tension square then you will not have as many to the inch. whereas of you are a tighter knitter the stitches will be more packed together and will have a higher count per inch. Does that make sense?

bigbuttons Tue 04-Jun-13 21:12:38

It was probably the pattern, some are really odd. I'm knitting loads of jumpers at the moment and the arms on the pattern are designed to fit a bloody gibbon.
There is a great book I am thinking of getting which lets you make whatever pattern you'd like with whatever wool and needles you happen to have. It gets good reviews, no more ill-fitting knitwear!

nothernexposure Tue 04-Jun-13 21:08:04

Thanks, my last effort was mahoosive and unwearable (and spent 3 months knitting it so really p'd off!) so I assume I knit too loosely. Must be more tense this time round....... I'd tried to read up about it but it made no sense to be at all!

Thanks again.

bigbuttons Tue 04-Jun-13 20:54:42

yes, it means your tension is tight. Go up a size or even half a size and see if it works out. I knit loosely so I always have to go down a needle. I rarely do tensions squares know as I know my tension.

nothernexposure Tue 04-Jun-13 20:51:14

For the first time ever on my knitting career of 30+ years I've actually knitted a tension square as I'm fed up of stuff not being the right measurements. But what does it mean!!! I've done more than the recommended no of rows/stitches and it's too small! I'm nowhere near the 10 x 10 cm it should be. Does this mean I need to go up a size in needles? (Currently using 3 mm needles).

TiA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now