Crochet for beginners...

(234 Posts)
CouthyMow Tue 28-May-13 04:06:25

I'm desperately trying to learn to crochet. I want to be able to do Granny squares.

I can make a foundation chain, I can do double and triple, but after that I just end up in a knotty mess!

I have two crochet books, both of which are meant to be from the basics onwards. Neither of which seemingly explain it in a way that makes sense to me...

Can anyone help me to crochet a granny square?!

ComtessedeFrouFrou Tue 18-Jun-13 21:12:59

Can I jump in and ask a question? I'm a total beginner and reading blogs about how Nikki Trench's Springtime Throw has destroyed peoples' lives, I've decided to start with something simpler.

This

But I'm stuck the very first instruction sad What do the brackets mean? Ch 105 (121, 145)

Elsewhere in that explanation thingy it says that the brackets signify a repetition, but that can't be right, can it?

PolterGoose Tue 18-Jun-13 21:23:42

The numbers relate to the sizes, so, if you're making the smallest size follow the first number every time you see 3 choices like that, for the middle size follow the first number in brackets and for biggest size follow second number in brackets. It's a good idea to print the pattern and go through with a highlighter to highlight the instructions you need to follow.

That looks like an American pattern so you'll need to do an English double crochet stitch where it says single crochet stitch.

The figures in the brackets refer to the next sizes. The first number is the prem size, the second number (the first one in brackets) is the newborn size and the third number (the second one in brackets) is the toddler size. So the number of chains you make depends on the size you wish to make.

ComtessedeFrouFrou Tue 18-Jun-13 21:31:38

Ah, thank you! I was getting so dispirited thinking that I'd failed at the very first hurdle blush

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Jun-13 21:37:41

Finished the first thing I had on the go (well not the first started but the first actual finished thing) - was doing the mini granny square cushion cover idea off Attic 24. Looks dead good - I cheated with the cushion cover aspect since Ikea had plain black cushion covers for £3 which was cheaper than it would have cost me for the stuff to make them - so I did the front in crochet and then fixed it on and did a double stitch border to hide any visible sewing-on stitches.

Think I need to take a break now though - my hands have really cramped up and suffered from doing that - despite the fact I now have dog vet-wrap self sticking bandages wrapped around hook handles to make them a bit more comfortable!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 25-Jun-13 08:04:19

sounds great miaow!! I hadn't thought about ikea for cushion covers, thanks smile

Ok so, I am yet to crochet blush but went to house of Fraser to get crochet hook and they had sale of rowan yarns at £2-3 so am now committed and this will be the weekend.yikes.
What horrible blogs about springtime throw?? Sucker tattooed on forehead alert.

MiaowTheCat Thu 27-Jun-13 08:47:42

Has anyone seen CouthyMow in weeks? She was last sighted heading off in the direction of Ravelry and I suspect may now be trapped in her house buried under a mountain of different crochet projects. Do we need to volunteer her for one of those hoarder programmes on the TV?!

KnitStitchSewBlog Thu 27-Jun-13 15:37:19

Just posted this on another thread but here you go again! knitstitchsew.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/cracking-crochet/ best thing to do is to get cheap wool and ask someone to show you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now