We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Copyright and selling knitted goods

(11 Posts)
Purlywhites Wed 08-May-13 07:50:01

Ok thanks, I change the amount of stitches and rows etc and it gives a slightly different effect. Just the picot edge is the same. I don't want it to look obvious. But then I don't think picot edge has been copyrighted 😄.

Showtime Tue 07-May-13 16:56:50

According to my DSis, who is in the business, it is perfectly legal to change one item from a recipe to make it original and therefore not copyright. Don't know about knits.

Purlywhites Tue 07-May-13 14:40:28

Interesting argument!
I may contact the magazine that published the pattern and see what they say.

www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/2561779/1-25 one of the interesting, lively (and, er, locked! ) discussions on Ravelry about this

Purlywhites Mon 06-May-13 20:01:08

Moaning I'm glad you posted that. Thanks you.

There are about eleventy million threads on this on Ravelry and they mostly end up locked grin

AFAIK, it doesn't really matter whether the designer gives permission or not, the finished object is yours to do what you want with.

Copyright does mean you must not copy and sell/distribute the pattern - it is their words/instructions that are subject to copyright, not the thing you make from them. If you altered the pattern a little to make yourself feel better then by all means do.

But a knitted or crocheted flower is unlikely to be so unique that a particular designer could be identified anyway - there are millions of slightly different versions of basically the same thing. I think it is very different to selling items made from a truly unusual technique created by only one designer ever.

Could you sell a cake you made from one of Delia's recipes? What's the difference?

Purlywhites Thu 02-May-13 14:21:52

Ok yes! I'll look on there thanks

SoupDragon Thu 02-May-13 09:23:11

If I were you I'd find patterns on, say, Ravelry and check the designer's terms. Often they say you can sell items made from the pattern but not distribute the pattern itself.

Purlywhites Thu 02-May-13 06:42:36

Ok, so what if I alter it? Does that still count?

Thanks for the link.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 01-May-13 16:42:09

No you can't. See here below....it's from Ebay sellers guides
link

Purlywhites Wed 01-May-13 15:54:21

If I knitted flower bouquets for say, weddings, would I be able to use a flower pattern I got out of a book/mag.
Or is this not allowed?
The bouquet would be designed by me but individual flowers would be taken from patterns (although my flowers don't look exactly the same as the pattern).
I'm newish to this and don't know about copyright laws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now