We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

change knitting needles. How?

(16 Posts)
MuddyWellyNelly Thu 02-May-13 09:41:28

Just to add that it's the needle you knit on to that determines the size of the stitch. Hence why the advice above tells you just to start knitting on to the new size and not worry that the "old" needle is a different size. This can be useful if you are doing cables and don't have the right size needle.

Flojobunny Wed 01-May-13 22:27:35

Ha I think you might be right!

Molehillmountain Tue 30-Apr-13 20:02:45

Ribbing exists purely to make the rest of the knitting seem faster wink

Flojobunny Tue 30-Apr-13 18:07:00

Ages? Oh no, this ribbing seems to be taking ages! <wishes I'd chosen a chunky knit now>

Raglan sleeve sit much better than drop sleeves but they take AGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS to knit.

Raglan is the bit where the sleeve tapers into the shoulder.there might well be a special stitch at each end of the row to give a nice finish when you stitch it up. Raglan is pretty straight forward. You'll be fine. smile

Flojobunny Mon 29-Apr-13 22:01:52

Ah thankyou, that makes sense now. I'll be back when I get to reglan, no idea what that means but it'll take a while til I get to that point.

When it says to change, switch the empty needle to one of the new size. Work the next row as the pattern says, using one new needle and one old needle. Do whichever stitches it tells you to. Then, at the end of that row, switch the new empty needle, for the other new needle. You will now be knitting on both of the new needles.

bubbles1231 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:53:36

sorry- I should have said work the next row rather than knit.

Jaynebxl Mon 29-Apr-13 20:51:56

I'd proceed as follows but onto the new needle.

Flojobunny Mon 29-Apr-13 20:45:19

Just knit, as in all knit stitch the whole lot? Rather than what the pattern tells you to do after "proceed as follows"? It's after 2x2 rib, so it says about k2tog every 10 stitches.

bubbles1231 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:12:03

yep- just knit the next row on to the first 4mm needle then the one after that onto the second 4mm.

Molehillmountain Mon 29-Apr-13 19:09:21

I've always interpreted the instruction you describe as anifrangapani explains it.

Anifrangapani Mon 29-Apr-13 18:56:20

Just use the next size for the first lihe and then when you get to the nedt row knit with the second new size needle.

I would knit on to the 4mm needles.

Flojobunny Mon 29-Apr-13 18:54:33

It says ".....end in ws row, change to 4mm needles and proceed as follows....."
How would I change needles then? The last pattern explain to knit them on, does this pattern not want me to knit them on? Do I have to some how slide them on without dropping any stitches?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now