We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Dressmaking fabric - where to buy?

(11 Posts)
Mummybookworm Wed 24-Apr-13 20:54:29

I am feeling inspired as per GBSB. Our local sewing shops have very poor fabric selections. Where can I get some decent fabric to make, say a skirt or a dress? <ambitious>.

amazingmumof6 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:02:39

John Lewis has a good selection -well used to at least, haven't been for years.no idea about price, but worth checking out.

I buy most of my fabrics on Ebay, so that would be the best starting point. some sellers can even send you swatches for free or a small fee.

GBSB is great, isn't it, I wish there were more programmes like that where you can actually learn things and get inspired - rather than stupid Kirstie Allsop patronizingly telling us how easy it is to make a cushion cover.....duh! <rolling eyes>]

what kind of fabric are you looking for?

bigbuttons Wed 24-Apr-13 21:05:17

fabric land!!!!

Mummybookworm Wed 24-Apr-13 21:06:50

Some plain cotton or linen I think. I just don't want to look like I am wearing fabric that would look better as a tablecloth if you catch my drift!

Mummybookworm Wed 24-Apr-13 21:07:32

Manners MB - sorry. Thank you both for your suggestions.

Anifrangapani Wed 24-Apr-13 21:09:03

Which part of the country are you in.

Mummybookworm Wed 24-Apr-13 21:10:33

Oxfordshire/Northants

PigeonPie Sat 27-Apr-13 19:34:16

Mb you are quite close to me. I'm wondering on making a trip to Mason's in Abingdon as I've heard they have a good range; I can let you know what I think I hope later in the week.

Fabrics Galore are brilliant, https://en-gb.facebook.com/fabricsgalorelondon really worth a trip to London.

There is a good place near me called Fabric Rehab. They have a website here

serin Wed 01-May-13 23:28:50

If you are ever in Manchester longsight market is just amazing.

They had a floral, sprigged cotton that I paid £9mtre for in John lewis for £1.

Worth the journey if you need lots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now