Is soldering very difficult?

(7 Posts)
AThingInYourLife Tue 23-Apr-13 15:16:13

Also get a set of helping hands.

And no, a soldering iron is not a soldering iron.

The difference in how well (and how quickly) you will solder with a decent iron and a crap one is enormous.

Wossname Tue 23-Apr-13 14:58:44

Oh sorry, x posts! Thanks for that I will have a google.

Wossname Tue 23-Apr-13 14:57:51

Thanks, that's reassuring. Can you recommend a decent one? Think I need a soldering iron and some pliars, maybe a kit is the way to go?

Startail Tue 23-Apr-13 14:57:38

Oh and a soldering iron is a soldering iron, don't pay a fortune in a craft shop for something that's cheaper and better from Maplin.

Startail Tue 23-Apr-13 14:55:41

No DD2 learnt when she was about 9, electronics rather than jewellery.

If you can afford a temperature controlled iron, get one. The size and material of what your soldering makes a massive difference to how quickly it heats up.

AThingInYourLife Tue 23-Apr-13 14:48:19

Soldering is not hard once you get the hang of it and very satisfying.

You need to get a good quality soldering iron though or it will drive you bananas.

Wossname Tue 23-Apr-13 14:44:35

I want to make myself something out of a few old bits of (cheap) vintage/costume jewellery but not sure how to go about it. Would soldering be the thing or glue? I imagine glueing bits of metal would a be bit difficult confused

I have never done anything crafty or creative before but fancy a crack at making something and I have no idea how to go about it blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now