We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Crocheting a rag rug - possibly from old sheets

(9 Posts)
carlajean Thu 25-Apr-13 07:46:58

I would have thought sheets would not be resilient enough, also, unless you dye them, not very interesting when finished. old t shirts a better bet. I would approach a charity shop and ask them to put aside a bag of brightly colored t shirts or garments made of synthetic fabric that you could use. quite a lot of stuff that goes to charity shops isn't sellable and goes straight for sale to a fabric recycler, so you would have to pay for it, but not much (I was charged £1 last time I did it, for a black bin bag full)

5Foot5 Tue 23-Apr-13 21:06:30

Great tips SoupDragon and I have now ordered one of those big hooks so - Game On!

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 12:56:31

THis uses T Shirts but joins the strips together using a hole in each strip - might work for the sheets too.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 12:51:06

this makes one length of yarn from a flat piece of fabric.

5Foot5 Tue 23-Apr-13 12:44:12

Thank you - that is encouraging.

My local supplier only has hooks up to 8mm and I already have all the "normal" sizes. However, that 20mm hook sounds just the thing and not too expensive either so I will be sending off for that.

My airing cupboard is in a state of chaos at the moment as there is load os old bedding in there I am sure we no longer use so I will start by turning that out.

I think I will try a little bit first to see how it goes before I cut up too much!!

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 11:11:36

a) Yes, that's right

b) 20mm hook

c) No idea but go to a charity shop/house clearance warehouse. My local one has loads of sheets and they're very very cheap.

d) Forever grin I found using even a super chunky yarn with a 15mm hook very tiring on my hook-arm so I imagine you can only do a little at a time. Having said that, the chunkiness of the "yarn" with the huge hook makes it speedier to make up so that may balance it out.

DaisyBD Tue 23-Apr-13 11:03:39

I did a workshop on giant crocheting a couple of months ago and it was great - everything works up so quickly. Alison did explain how to make yarn out of fabric, it seems pretty straightforward. I bought a 24mm hook from her and I'm going to make a dog basket (I also saw a nice pattern for this in an Erika Knight book). I had a quick google and I think you can get a 19mm hook online fairly easily - or I'm sure Alison would sell you a 24mm one (her husband makes them). It cost £8.

I'd also like to have a go at a rug. I think I'm just going to make it up as I go along with different fabrics and yarns - I'll probably put together a group of colours to start off with and see what happens. Mainly because I have no idea how much fabric/yarn I'll need. grin

5Foot5 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:33:06

Oh I do have a lot of old towels too. Would they be possible as an alternative or as well as sheets?

5Foot5 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:32:19

I am interested in crocheting a rag rug for my summer house. I am thinking rectangular and at least 4 feet by 6 feet.

I have seen a few internet links where people have made rugs with old sheets but they all seem to be American and I just wondered whether any UK crocheters would know:

a) Is an American single crochet the same as a UK double crochet and American double our treble?

b) The patterns I have seen seem to use an enormous hook which is an S and as far as I can tell that is 19mm. I never knew they came that big! Can you get such sizes here in the UK? Has anyone done anything like this and can tell me if I really need one that big?

c) Any idea how many old sheets I would need to destroy for a project this size?

d) Any idea how long it would take?

Any other suggestions, comments and shared experiences gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now