Can crochet blankets be repaired? So upset :(

(11 Posts)
IAmJacksRagingBileDuct Sun 21-Apr-13 22:14:17

I have a wonderful, huge, lovely old blanket that my Great Aunt made for me as a child. Dd1 uses it now and it's very special to me.

Just got back from a weekend with the ILs and their two dogs, and on getting the blanket out of the car found a patch of holes and tears. Looks like the dogs might have had a sneaky chew although doesn't smell doggy, possibly dd could have caught it in the car.

Anyway, please tell me if I find someone who can crochet they'll be able to fix it?

BIWI Sun 21-Apr-13 22:15:52

Oh no! sad

You need to ask the Woolly Hugs people. KnottyLocks and RatherBeOnThePiste are the people to talk to - if they can't, there are lots of other crafty people who might be able to help you.

I'll see if I can point them in your direction.

3littlewomen Sun 21-Apr-13 22:26:08

Yes Jacks, crochet can be very readily repaired - far easier then knitting. Is it an afghan type blanket? Just a case of getting a handy crocheter to have a look and repair with same weight wool.

Where are you?

IAmJacksRagingBileDuct Sun 21-Apr-13 23:19:01

Ah thank you both for such quick replies! Such a relief to hear it can be fixed.

3littlewomen yes I think so, that's the one made of lots of little squares isn't it? I'm in Uxbridge (Middlesex) there's a wool shop on the market so if its possible I suppose that'd be the best place to ask.

I'm a tentative useless knitter but know less than nothing about crochet.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 22-Apr-13 06:58:35

Morning lovely.

Poor blanket sad

Ask at the wool shop about the wool that was used and see if they can recommend anyone to help. Wool shops tend to be run by fab wooly experts. If they can't, do PM me because we have folk not so far from you who may well be able to help.

KnottyLocks Mon 22-Apr-13 07:12:41

Morning .

Was about to give the same advice as Pistey.

Another way would to see if there are any Knit and Natter groups near you, where woolly folk gather to knit and crochet over tea and cake . A quick Google may tell you.

Failing that, we'll do our best to find someone to help smile

IAmJacksRagingBileDuct Mon 22-Apr-13 08:11:52

Thank you all smile I'll try and get it down town tomorrow, its huge so need to wait for dd1 to be at childminders so it can have her space in the buggy!

Really appreciate your advice, will let you know how we get on.

IAmJacksRagingBileDuct Tue 30-Apr-13 09:09:37

Just popping back to say a wonderful friend who knits for our DDs has fixed my lovely blanket and I'm happy again smile Thanks for your advice ladies.

KnottyLocks Tue 30-Apr-13 09:53:58

A happy ending smile

LatteLady Tue 30-Apr-13 11:21:46

Can I suggest something else... stick it in the freezer, just in case it was not chewed by dogs but smaller critters like moths...

Leave it in the freezer for a day or two and that will kill any of the little critters.

Glad it has been repaired smile

IAmJacksRagingBileDuct Wed 01-May-13 01:03:19

Thanks for the tip latte it won't fit in our little freezer but mil has a chest freezer so I'll stick it in there next time we're visiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now