Outdoor Bunting - what to use?

(18 Posts)
NumTumDeDum Sun 05-May-13 11:37:16

And here is the link.

NumTumDeDum Sun 05-May-13 08:20:59

I've found some at Homebase for 6.99. Quite nice colours too.

KobayashiMaru Sun 05-May-13 00:08:22
OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Wed 24-Apr-13 20:19:09
OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Wed 24-Apr-13 20:17:10

Wonder if you could use a wax spray on cotton cheapy ones to protect it?

duchesse Tue 23-Apr-13 14:01:15

A group of us made bunting for a friend's daughter's Moroccan themed wedding. The friend had bought a variety of bright quite shiny synthetic satins in Moroccan colours (russet orange, dark red, bright pink etc...). After the wedding, some of it stayed up in the garden for a further 2 years looking just as good as when it first went up.

PurpleFrog Tue 23-Apr-13 13:49:07

I think fleece would pick up wind-blown dirt etc. very easily.

NumTumDeDum - if I do a test piece I will let you know. wink

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 13:30:45

I wonder if fleece would work. It wouldn't fray and it is made of plastic. Probably colour fast.

NumTumDeDum Tue 23-Apr-13 13:17:34

Annoyingly I can't find a middle option. It's either cheap plastic bunting that will be bleached by the sun and ragged in no time or this expensive stuff. But if I go and buy oil cloth etc it will probably cost just as much and I'll probably make a hash of it. Gah. Will have to think of something else I think.

PurpleFrog Tue 23-Apr-13 12:13:56

Thanks. Gulp! I see what you mean...

DaisyBD Tue 23-Apr-13 10:08:58

Here, PurpleFrog. I do really like it but I can't quite bring myself to buy it at that price.

PurpleFrog Tue 23-Apr-13 09:26:57

So where did you find this expensive outdoor bunting? I had a look a few months ago but I could only find cheap polythene stuff.

I am asking because I had thought about making outdoor bunting, as I have a stash of 2oz and 4oz pu-coated nylon in bright colours which is now so old that I don't want to chance making anything out of it which has to be really waterproof.

NumTumDeDum Mon 22-Apr-13 17:24:27

I think I found the same bunting as you. It is too much for me also.

DaisyBD Mon 22-Apr-13 16:51:21

Startail - do you have a link to anywhere selling cheap outdoor bunting? I've found some that is £35 for 10 flags, which seems rather pricy to me... and a tutorial for making it out of old plastic bags, which in my hands would end up minging and look like - well, old plastic bags cut into triangles. I really want to decorate my kitschy hen house (suggestions for chicken-proof plastic flowers in tubs also gratefully received). grin

Startail Sun 21-Apr-13 15:35:55

ripstop nylon

If you search, kite and parachute fabric, you get all sorts. Spinnaker cloth is also the same sort of stuff.

Yes it will sew with a good ordinary machine we used it for making caterpillar costumes years ago.

However, readymade outdoor bunting is a lot cheaper

NumTumDeDum Sun 21-Apr-13 15:16:13

Actually I do live near an outlet, I'll have a look thanks.

seanbonbon Sun 21-Apr-13 15:09:33

Cath kidson do oilcloths, you can buy as much as you like, if you find an outlet store it might be a bit cheaper.
No clue about the sewing machine, sorry grin

NumTumDeDum Sun 21-Apr-13 15:00:51

I'd like to brighten up the garden and I see the neighbours have hung bunting from their gazebo but it's cotton and I can already see it getting tatty. I was thinking maybe I could make some from oilcloth or something hardwearing. I wondered about maybe that fabric you make kites from or sails but where do I get it from and will my Singer machine cope with it? Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now