Embroidery machine for school uniform - how much? May i have one?

(13 Posts)
reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 14-Apr-13 18:10:34

Back to school for us tomorrow. Can't get new summer shirts with school logo and DS1 really hates not having the school logo on. This has fuelled my desire for an embroidery machine. What type of machine do i need to set it off to do a two colour school badge on a shirt and jumper? Presumably it needs to be programable, how do you go about puttingnthe image into the machine (copyright issues?).
Could I come up with a good excuse to treat myself to a new toy? Anyone got one, experience?

EffieTheDuck Sun 14-Apr-13 18:12:46

Could you cut the logo from an old shirt and use it as a patch where the logo should go?

BedHog Sun 14-Apr-13 18:15:18

Ooh I'd love one of those embroidery machines, I think you'd be looking at the best part of £500 though.

<watching this thread in case someone knows where I can get one for a bargain price!>

bran Sun 14-Apr-13 18:22:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran Sun 14-Apr-13 18:26:21

NickL Sun 14-Apr-13 18:28:00

DCs school has iron-on logos that we put onto stuff from the supermarket. Much, much cheaper than the schoolwear shop.

I think the company that does them can be googled under" iron on school badges"

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 14-Apr-13 19:06:40

Boo hiss, i thought it would be expensive, wasn't thinking of only doing school shirts, but they were going to be my excuse!

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 14-Apr-13 19:19:16

I could bite the bullet and go into professional production! Need a new job. Would probably turn a profit my the next millenium

I have an embroidery machine that I imported from the States - Brother SE400. It embroiders all sorts in the PES format up to 4x4 inches and cost me around £350 inc import fees and the voltage converter from Maplin to run it through. But since I got it, Amazon no longer ship them to the UK and other places have tightened up too so you'd need to shop around. It's half the price of any equivalent UK machine but you don't get the guarantee with it.

You'd need somebody to digitise the design for you though, you can download a free software called Stitch Era Universal, but it's being discontinued later this year and I'm not sure whether they're still accepting new registrations.

You could have a look at www.gs-ukdirect.com/, they sell everything you might need from machines to threads and stabiliser. I've used them frequently and would recommend.

reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 20-Apr-13 09:57:30

Thanks Rue, can you do school type logos easily on that one? I have friends eho go to the states quite often so could possibly get them to bring one home for me or possibly to buy one and post it to me from the states? Thsbk you for possibly coming up with a potential solution!!

So long as they're not too big, and you can get someone to create the design file for you you'd have no problems actually embroidering it. It's a steepish learning curve though, and fairly addictive grin

If someone is bringing it back from the States for you then also check the Project Runway version of the same machine as it comes with a case it can be packed in.

If you do want to do it and get the file created then I can probably put you in touch with a couple of people who could help if you PM me.

reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 20-Apr-13 10:23:08

Wow, that would be fab. Just need to encourage my step son to visit his mum as he'll do as he's asked.

bran Sat 20-Apr-13 11:11:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now