Good first sewing machine for beginner?

(3 Posts)
pommesdeterreetfromageblanc Fri 05-Apr-13 20:41:12

I would like to start sewing cushions, curtains, bunting, that kind of stuff. Can anyone recommend a good sewing machine, ideal for beginner?

Sailormercury Fri 05-Apr-13 21:01:41

I've got a janome 1218 and I love it. I think it's a good one for home furnishings because it does heritage functions and buttonholes. It came with loads of little extras like special feet for putting zips in.
My first ever sowing machine I got about 4 years ago and its one of those brightly coloured John Lewis ones. I was an idiot and chose it because it looked really cut in red and was cheaper that better brands. I only used it a couple of times. Its flimsy as fuck, can't do anything useful and has a weedy engine that freaks out at anything thicker than dress weight cotton.
My advice is go for a "proper" machine with heritage functions,a "name" one if you can. You don't have to spend loads, there are loads of really good machines on Ebay and the like. Then you won't be frustrated by your machine holding you back from the projects you really want to do.

Good Luck and apologies for the essay!

Sailormercury Fri 05-Apr-13 21:03:51

Sorry forgot to add if you want to do home furnishings try and look for one with quilting functions they are a super useful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now