We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

left hander wanting to learn to crochet, help please

(10 Posts)

I am left handedbut learned right handed.
and have to say I fibd it easier to follow patterns because it's all righthanded.
however, there are also a few youtube videos that do lefthanded tutorials.

sooperdooper Sun 07-Apr-13 17:15:16

I'm not actually left handed but I crochet left handed grin it just feels better that way, I remember my auntie tried to teach me years ago and I couldn't get my head round it, but then I tried again and realised that it just feels right doing it left handed

The tutorials on youtube are great, and once you get going you'll be able to follow it being shown in the right handed way too, good luck!!

bunnyfitch Sun 07-Apr-13 10:51:38

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've taken the plunge and bought a set of crochet needles. I'll give it a go with some oddments of wool and see what happens smile

Spuderoonerism Sat 06-Apr-13 19:34:30

I ended up signing up for a crochet class at a local shop, but that said I am the least 'crafty' and visual person ever so had struggled trying to learn it on line/from books. I tried to learn right handed as I already knit right handed but crochet was impossible. I would say crochet is something you have to do left handed as the 'action' is all in the hand holding the hook so you really do need that in your left hand.

I use this website now for tutorials. June is actually left handed so all her pics/videos are her actually doing it left handed rather than flipping/mirroring it - I find them much more intuitive than other websites where they just flip the pics or I have to reverse it in my mind.

sashh Sat 06-Apr-13 09:32:18

If we meet up I can teach you.

When I was 10 I taught my left handed cousin.

Just remember if you use a pattern yours will be a mirror image of the pattern.

EggwiniasRevenge Sat 06-Apr-13 09:12:38

Google left handed crochet.

There are definitely picture tutorials and video tutorials out there. I found a really good one when I was looking (for right handed) instructions for something. Unfortunately I can't remember what or I would link.

spanky2 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:10:03

I found tutorials on you tube for left handers .

I just started yesterday. I found left handed tutorials on you tube. They were very helpful!

quoteunquote Wed 03-Apr-13 20:07:03

put a mirror by the screen and watch tutorials on youtube.

bunnyfitch Wed 03-Apr-13 20:01:43

I've been fancying learning to crochet for a while. I'm not sure if I will be able to do it as I'm left handed. I seem to remember having problems trying when I was a child but that was a long time ago. Has anyone got any advice or tips. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now