I have just "inherited" ; my mother's button tin

(174 Posts)
SoupDragon Wed 03-Apr-13 14:57:46

[happy sigh]

I say "inherited" but she is alive and well grin

I am rummaging through it looking for the old favourites that were there when I was a child...

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-13 15:44:08

An inherited sewing box is just as good I think smile

I agree - all those little bits of this and that in a sewing box. My mum's sewing box was a boring plastic box that lived on the bottom of a trolley by her chair at the dining room table - so it was readily to hand when she needed to perform a repair.

But her button tin is lovely - a vintage biscuit tin, I think - and I covet that tin and will fight dsis to the death for it if she wants it too.

Sewing box is indeed very cool - not only does it contain a marvellous selection of bits and bobs, but it is, in itself, a gorgeous wooden box with lots of little lidded compartments grin. I cried when I thought one of the lids had been lost in a house move, but it turned up months later.

he does the ironing?

oh wow, that's a tough decision then

I've just been coveting a sewing box on www.fabricland.co.uk/

the big one at the bottom with Hungry caterpillar all over it.

I don't need a sewing box for sewing but for thread reels, as mine is round and my threads are messy (and slightly overflowing now - the lid no longer sits on)

it's not hungry caterpillar blush

it's ice creams.

Arghhh - don't entice me onto the Fabricland site - I have already spent £13.50 on yarn online today. And it isonly the fact that I got rid of a bagful of yarn to the charity shop that made dh ok with the idea of buying more.

And I know that sounds barking (which is fair enough, if you know me grin) but the yarn I got rid of was nasty-feeling cheap acrylic yarn that came free with a magazine (one of those ones with a blanket where you knit a square each fortnight - but I never knitted the squares blush), and I have bought 6x100g balls of yarn in turquoise, sunshine yellow, cerise, purple, orange and navy, to crochet a granny-square scarf - or maybe a blanket (but I would need more yarn).

nooooooo!
my mum bought that mag- she crocheted the squares but didn't use them. she donated them to woolly hugs.

MouseThatRoars Sat 20-Apr-13 21:54:57

Oooh, so lovely to find this thread! I inherited my MiL's button tins. The tins themselves are wonderful 1950s designs and the buttons are fabulous. DD (5) loves them. She creates button pictures, photographs them then starts again. Hoping to do something more permanent with some of them, like a button necklace or decorations on a dress. Some of my favourite ones are the leather criss-cross ones that go on Grandads' cardis - do you know what I mean? they must have a name?!

SoupDragon Sun 21-Apr-13 08:44:35

Yes! I think they're called "leather crisscross ones that go on grandad's cardi" grin

MouseThatRoars Sun 21-Apr-13 19:58:03

Yeah, that's the one! grin

NumTumDeDum Sun 21-Apr-13 20:14:55

Oooh. I just found some nice tins of biscuits in M&S. Biscuits and a nice tin. Win win. grin

Someone gave me one of those criss cross Grandad ones this week, the first in my collection smile

ooh yes I love the leather criss cross ones grin

McKayz Fri 26-Apr-13 12:24:13

I've got it!

It's full of buttons, old zips, needles so had to be careful.

There's some lovely metal ones with what looks like a coat of arms.

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

envysmile

SoupDragon Fri 26-Apr-13 18:37:08

Must
Not
Look
On
Ebay

McKayz Fri 26-Apr-13 18:56:52

Do it! grin

SoupDragon Fri 26-Apr-13 19:37:24

Oh, I have in the past. three times

HellesBelles396 Sat 27-Apr-13 08:35:27

my aunt's button barrel is a wooden barrel and contains thin bootstraps for small children (me thirty years agogrin ) to make button necklaces.

as she has no daughter, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for when she stops knitting.

Guerrillacrochet Fri 03-May-13 08:58:31

What a lovely thread (geddit!).

Another button tin horror story... I was talking to my Nan about crafts and asked about the button tin and she said she'd THROWN IT AWAY. VOLUNTARILY. It was a small 1960's Quality Street tin full of magical things and both my brother and I loved the sorting of the buttons (recall it was pirate booty on several occassions).

The Grandad Cardie buttons were always known as football buttons in our house.....

I had no idea people were flogging tins on Ebay though! Is it weird to buy one and have it sent to my Mum's- we're abroad for the next year... it could be waiting for me when I get back!

SoupDragon Fri 03-May-13 18:42:54

Not weird at all.

Although you are probably not asking the right people...

SoupDragon Mon 06-May-13 12:02:03

{bounce]

I've just bought a 6lb quality street tin full of buttons at the local car boot sale grin £5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now