We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Anyone else going to join me on the Sewing Bee watch?

(1000 Posts)
flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:06:36

A bit excited about it

blush

grin

Ambridge Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:24

The problem with this programme is that it's too simplistic for a moderately-expert sewer, and too complicated for a beginner. They haven't really explained bias binding but suddenly they throw in an airy reference to a bias-binding maker. It's neither one thing nor another.

blueraincoat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:33

MORE florals from Sandra

(they may have edited that to make Lauren's fit look worse than it actually was, though)

Well... my mate's mum is friends with the female judge. Will that do?

Ambridge Tue 02-Apr-13 20:47:34

Sorry blueraincoat, x-posted!

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:47:49

Do they all have the same machines to work with?

I had mark down as a LARP-er. Was a bit surprised when he was Steam punk.

He'd make an ace viking type.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 02-Apr-13 20:48:38

Blueraincoat - exactly. I didn't need it and E wouldn't be able to make it even if she watched it several times. Waste of time.

blueraincoat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:14

makescakes grin

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:23

Rhine - I don't blame you for saying 'No thanks' - too much pressure and too much 'creative' editing.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:47

Is that Tilly with the rose in her hair?

Also - I hate this time constraint. It doesn't add anything to the whole thing. Surely the whole point of a hand-sewn garment is that it took time and care, not that it was knocked up in half an hour. This is making me very grouchy now. I'd say that a sewing deadline was more likely to be measured in weeks and days, not hours and minutes like with cooking. I'm getting progressively more grumpy.

But the nice thing is that I am now inspired to join a beginners sewing class. I can cook well, so understand what you mean about not really catering to either beginner or expert but still feel excited. I would be happy to be able to make decent soft furnishings for my home smile

Yup. Tilly is flower girl

Just seems to be a thing now, has to be a competition.

Although they are giving them a fair bit of free rein -- and a comment that they keep making about Ann is that she is selecting projects that she can complete to a high standard in the time available (as opposed to some others who are biting off more than they can chew).

cat - have you tried looking online for blog tutorials? I've made cushions and curtains by following those - they're super.

blueraincoat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:52:53

The not steam-punk man's dress made the model look pregnant. She wasn't right?

Sandra's dress reminds me of Victoria Wood in Dinnerladies.

I do like Tilly's dress though - despite the scallops. Badly fitted though.

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:53:48

Stuart's dress looks like a maternity one (and that fabric is giving me a headache)

Time constraint is silly, but I suppose they have to give some time limit so that it gives a level playing field for the competition.

I'd definitely be out on this challenge! grin

bran Tue 02-Apr-13 20:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:54:46

blue snap! smile

See, now I think they all look shoddy for having a machine sewn hem. Poorly done. That should be invisibly sewn with a slip stitch surely?

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:55:12

iplayer it bran

Thanks makes cakes, will have a look!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.