Restoring a dolls' house - where on earth to start?

(10 Posts)
vladthedisorganised Tue 02-Apr-13 14:47:16

Just inherited a lovely dolls' house which has been in the family for some time. It is definitely a 'project' and needs a bit of renovation.

Being probably the least craft-savvy person I know, I have no idea where to start. It looks lovely but I have no idea where to buy things like small hinges; presume sample paint/ carpet would be useful?

Not sure if anyone here might have done similar before and might be able to help!

Pootles2010 Tue 02-Apr-13 14:51:00

I know nowt about this, just that I walk past a lovely shop in york regularly that does this sort of thing, and found their online shop here.

Good luck, rather jealous!

Lucky you. Some of my happiest memories are painting and decorating my dolls house with my Dad.

This place is near me and it is a real "nose pressed to the window" type of place.

KurriKurri Tue 02-Apr-13 18:01:51

Lucky you smile - My lovely sister gave me a Dolls house kit to build for my birthday a couple of months ago (we'd had a conversation months previously about 'the toy I always wanted but never had' grin)

Anyway - any of the online Dollshouse companies will sell the bits and bobs you need like hinges screws etc. But also worth looking to see if there are any independent shops in your area, as I find they are often cheaper.

I have also been getting a dolls house magazine every so often - for idea of things to make, and I borrow books from the library on how to make furniture etc.

Another thing I've just found is a Dollshousing group that meet locally to me - which I am going to join, - there might be one near you and I reckon there will be lots of people to give you ideas (that's what I'm hoping anyway)

You can download thing from the internet too (google Doll house downloads) and there will be stuff to make miniature newspapers, food wrappings books etc etc.

I've got a catalogue from Dollshouse Emporium which I am just using for ideas rather than actually buying anything, - I thought I would copy some of the little bits and pieces in Fimo etc.

For decor in mine I used rolls of very small pattern wallpaper from B and Q (cheaper than the special DHouse wallpaper), fabric scraps with a carpetty texture for carpets (e.g.needlecord), and sample pots of paint for paintwork.

let us know how you get on - I'm a total beginner too but am absolutely loving this project, and would love to share steal ideas grin

PipkinsPal Wed 03-Apr-13 16:28:42

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dolls House. The hobby which will cost you loads of money. From a good point of course. There are so many lovely things out there you will find you just have to have them. Try Dolls House Emporium (who also have a Facebook page). They have online videos which may be of help. I've found that some of the Dolls House Emporium accessories are not 1/12th, ie 1 inch to 1 foot eg a whisk I bought measures 1 1/4 inches which in reality would be 1 1/4 foot. I also use Minimum World (also a Facebook page) for purchases and last year I went to the Kensington Dolls House Fair, I was in heaven. Enjoy your new and addictive hobby.

rockinhippy Thu 04-Apr-13 09:48:21

Free wallpapers, tiles & flooring printables, vintage too

The above is a great site for decorating it, all free, though I'd recommend printing onto a better quality paper, such as photo paper for flooring & tiles & flyer paper for walls

If you scroll to the bottom you will find loads of links & even tutorials for making some great stuff - Pinterest & youtube are also good for finding tutorials

Enjoy smile

rockinhippy Thu 04-Apr-13 09:52:14
KurriKurri Mon 08-Apr-13 16:02:14

After I last posted, I found this site
It has lots of things to make with tutorials for them all. I spent the weekend making the shabby chic bed shown on the link, and I am chuffed to bits with it - it looks really lovely.

rockinhippy Mon 08-Apr-13 16:07:36

Brilliant site - thanks for sharing kurri - booked marked it for my DD - her dolls house is now a make over project

KurriKurri Mon 08-Apr-13 16:11:49

Its great Rockinhippy, it's American so some of the terms were a bit unfamiliar to me, but it's all pretty adaptable in that you can use whatever you think might work. I put a thin layer of papier mache over my bed, which gave it an 'aged' look and made it stronger, and I used little cardboard self adhesive decals (some bows I had left from Christmas cards) for the end design.

I'll see if I can get Dh to do a photo of it when he gets home to put on my profile.

I'm going to tackle the kitchen dresser next I think smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now