We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Looking for a pattern for a baby blanket

(15 Posts)
Primrose123 Mon 01-Apr-13 15:58:58

I am looking for a nice, but quite simple pattern for a baby blanket.

I am reasonably good at crochet, and ok at knitting. I can do pretty patterns and stitches when knitting, but, if I go wrong, I cannot put it right! If I go wrong when crocheting, I can easily undo and redo it. Because of this, I may be better off crocheting rather than knitting.

I have already done one a bit like this and would like to do something different.

I did think about doing something similar to the woolly hugs, making six inch squares in different textures and sewing it together, but I'm not sure that I could sew it together nicely. I want to do it all in white.

I would like to do something that doesn't require looking at the pattern every two minutes, so that I can just pick it up and carry on.

The baby is due in June, so I need to get a move on!

Thanks for any ideas!

SoupDreggon Mon 01-Apr-13 16:02:03

I love the Attic24 Ripple pattern

All made in one piece so no worry about neat sewing and once you've got the hang of it, no need for a pattern as it's really simple.

The texture does work well in one colour and I did one in two shades of white as an Angel Hug which looked nice too.

Primrose123 Mon 01-Apr-13 18:22:24

That looks nice, might give it a try. smile

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 01-Apr-13 18:31:45

this blanket is quite an easy knit, I've done it in different colours for each change in pattern. Also have a look at ravelry, there's so much to choose from. It's hard to beat some of the attic 24 patterns though smile

Primrose123 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:02:41

I like that one too, but I'll have to buy a circular needle first. Thanks. smile

fossil971 Tue 02-Apr-13 00:16:01

This is one I'm working on. I made up the pattern because I couldn't find one I liked (I'm fussy!), it's in the project notes. if you don't see the link possibly you need to register on Ravelry but that is a good thing for any knitter smile.

Primrose123 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:59:57

Lovely, fossil971, I like the look of that, and will give it a try!

I have started Attic24's ripple pattern, so wish me luck! It was 115 stitches wide, and I'm not sure if it is wide enough!

I want to make another blanket for another baby who is due in October, so I will try one of the other patterns then.

scarlet5tyger Wed 03-Apr-13 09:24:11

Fossil I LOVE your pattern! Just added it to my queue. I'm a foster carer and make a blanket for each child placed so the next one who arrives might be lucky enough to get one of yours!

Just a quick question though - I discovered fairly recently that I knit "wrong" - I always knit into the back of the stitch (just the way I was taught), so I'm not sure how I can avoid the holes. Do you have any tips?

scarlet5tyger Wed 03-Apr-13 09:25:58

Primrose, the blankets I make are usually 120 stitches on 4mm needles and are large enough for a pram/stroller/Moses basket. I've just finished one that's 130 stitches and its big enough for a cot.

fossil971 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:33:12

scarlet avoiding holes: I think I would just experiment. The main thing is that you put a twist in the stitch so it doesn't leave a hole as it does in lace. Maybe you knit into the front of it! Alternatively work 4 increases in whatever way you normally would on the row before, instead of the YO's, then K plain 3 rows.

the best bit is of course choosing the colours grin

Primrose123 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:56:34

I have finished the blanket! Photos are here if you would like to see them. I did a small border down the two edges to finish off.

I need some more advice now. smile

I want to wash the blanket. The label on the wool says it is machine washable. I was going to put it on a delicates wash, but my mother thinks I should hand wash it. Any opinions? Should I use a special liquid, or is persil non-bio ok?

BunnyValentine Tue 23-Apr-13 15:07:40

Personally I would handwash it. Not worth the heartache of putting in the washing machine. It will only need a little wash as it's not actually dirty. Persil non-bio should be fine unless you actually have some handwash liquid around. Don't wring it after rinsing, gently squeeze as much water out then lay it on top of a large flat towel, place another flat towel on top and roll it up into a sausage starting at the bottom. Carefully tread on the sausage. This squeezes almost all of the water out without stressing the fabric. Dry flat. Beautiful blanket btw!

Primrose123 Tue 23-Apr-13 15:48:33

Thanks Bunny. Perhaps I'll do that then. I just hate hand washing!

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 15:51:51

Lovely blanket smile

If machine washing it, I would do it in a pillowcase to stop it getting stretched.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 23-Apr-13 17:55:21

ooh that's turned out lovely smile Personally I'd put it in the machine as soupy suggests and dry it as flat as possible. But then I can't remember the last time I hand washed anything so probably not helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now