We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Starting knitting again

(9 Posts)
Watto1 Mon 01-Apr-13 12:55:10

I want to start knitting again. My Gran taught me when I was little but I haven't knitted since (I'm 39 now!). Can anyone recommend a good place to buy wool, needles etc? I'll just need the basics to begin with. I'm thinking along the lines of buying stuff online as I don't think that there are any independent wool shops near me but I'm happy to be proved wrong! I'm in South East Wales.

TIA

Deramores is a brilliant online shop as is Kemps. Kemps have clearance section with bargains that will be fine for practicing. I prefer bamboo needles and bought a full set of different sizes in a roll up case from eBay for about £12. This worked out far cheaper than buying individual pairs of needles.

Be prepared to get sucked into the world of online wool buying. You will lose hours and £££. Don't say you haven't been warned... grin

Come and join us on Woolly Hugs

Deramores is a brilliant online shop as is Kemps. Kemps have clearance section with bargains that will be fine for practicing. I prefer bamboo needles and bought a full set of different sizes in a roll up case from eBay for about £12. This worked out far cheaper than buying individual pairs of needles.

Be prepared to get sucked into the world of online wool buying. You will lose hours and £££. Don't say you haven't been warned... grin

Come and join us on Woolly Hugs

tribpot Mon 01-Apr-13 13:11:23

I started knitting again when I was 39.

Deramores is the most comprehensive yarn shop online, not always the cheapest but you can (and will!) browse it for hours.

Woolly Hugs is a great place to start as it means you can do something quite small but still be contributing to something really important. There's plenty of opportunity to learn.

In terms of learning/re-learning knitting, I had the Knitting for Dummies book from some years ago, which is excellent and very clear. There are some fantastic resources on YouTube - I like PlanetPurl Cotton and Cloud. For me, though, the best video resource is Knit Freedom (she has a channel on YouTube too) there are lots of great videos for free and if you want a bit of extra help, she has a number of video courses as well (which aren't free).

The main other site you need to know about is Ravelry - I'll have a look on there now for knitting shops in your area.

tribpot Mon 01-Apr-13 13:12:45

Not very exact, but a yarn shop search on South East Wales.

http://www.blacksheepwools.com/
http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/index.php
Are both good online shops I've used.

Stylecraft special dk, is a cheap but cheerful acrylic wool that is great to start with. Its also one of the wools you can knit squares with to be incorporated into a larger blanket with the woolly hugs bunch.

There are 3 ongoing projects at the moment
Billie Blankets for World Child Cancer
Little Hugs for Yorkhill Childrens hospital
and Angel Hugs for the Octavian Appeal and the Royal Brompton

Squares are an easy way to get back into things.

And Tribpot is a knitting Guru! Without her I'd have given up long ago!

GemmaTeller Mon 01-Apr-13 13:52:29
Watto1 Mon 01-Apr-13 18:58:00

Thank you everybody, that's fab! I'll have a look. Good idea to start with a square. I think even I can manage a square and it's for an excellent cause. Once I've got myself kitted out I'll track you all down in Woolly Hugs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now