We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Please talk to me about cross stitching!

(32 Posts)
wibblyjelly Fri 22-Mar-13 15:23:07

I'd like to start a new hobby, and while trawling the internet, came across some geeky inspired cross stitch patterns. (star wars, Dr who etc)
I'd love to start doing this as a hobby, and create some pieces for ds's bedroom.
Do I need patterns, or can I just attempt to stitch the images I've seeen from the internet? What equipment do I need? And is it hard to do?!

I love to cross stitch, currently working on a birth sampler for my SIL. Its country companions (hedhehogs and rabbits) and has lots of blended colours. I keep losing my way with it sad I'm determined to master it though! Good luck with your new venture OP

NumTumMum Wed 03-Apr-13 17:18:34

I bought one of those magnetic place markers but it's not strong enough to hold on through the pattern annoyingly.

Bakingnovice Wed 03-Apr-13 17:20:03

Ive just started too, it's a wonderful and soothing hobby. Got lots of tips here on MN and watched a beginners demo on YouTube. I got a starter kit for amazon as wanted to stitch my dd's name.

wibblyjelly Wed 03-Apr-13 17:45:48

<dons nerdy hat> the reason why I want to learn is that I have seen some amazing sci if inspired cross stitch, and as ds is going to be brought up as a nerd, I want to make some for his room. If any one has any patterns, would you be able to tell me about them, please?

NumTumMum Wed 03-Apr-13 18:55:23

OOOo, you've inspired me to search about for sci fi and fantasy kits/patterns. Just found a Game of Thrones one [giddy now].
winter is coming

wibblyjelly Wed 03-Apr-13 20:11:56
CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 19-May-13 09:29:06

Coming to this a but late wibbly but I can really recommend this etsy shop for cool cross stitch kits, I'm making my DS the superhero alphabet sampler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now