We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Want to knit a cotton baby blanket

(21 Posts)
DewDr0p Sun 24-Mar-13 16:37:53

Another vote for Baby Bamboo - it makes a beautiful baby blanket.

fossil971 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:57:56

I would agree Rowan wool cotton or All Seasons Cotton depending on DK or aran weight. Wool and cotton sounds barmy together but it is a lovely yarn.

Callmecordelia Thu 21-Mar-13 13:23:27

I haven't made a blanket with cotton, but I did make a cardigan out of Wendy Supreme Luxury Cotton DK, a pure cotton yarn. It looked lovely, with a beautiful sheen and drape - until I washed it. It has never quite recovered. I've tried washing it in all sorts of ways, and I think it is better now, but after that first wash it was stiff as a board. It is also quite heavy - nothing about my experience with that cotton item would lead me to think that pure cotton was suitable for a baby blanket, I'm sorry.

However, I have knitted with the Kool Kotton/Cotton on, and that is much better and easier to work with, and I'm currently making my sister a baby blanket out of King Cole Merino chunky, a superwash pure wool. I think if I was going to make a baby blanket, I'd probably pick a superwash wool, acrylic or a wool acrylic mix every time.

PolterGoose Argentina Wed 20-Mar-13 19:41:30

completed not competed blush

PolterGoose Argentina Wed 20-Mar-13 19:41:01

I've competed 3 blankets with Sirdar Calico, another acrylic cotton mix. Very soft and will tumble dry on low (despite the ball band saying not to) Lovely to crochet.

Molehillmountain Sun 17-Mar-13 19:42:57

Sirdar luxury soft cotton dk.

Molehillmountain Sun 17-Mar-13 19:41:15

I used rowan all seasons cotton for dd2's baby blanket. It's Aran weight, lovely to knit with and washes like a dream. Not 100% cotton but lovely yarn. For Ds I used sirdar luxury cotton dk or something-ill check. Also very lovely and a bit less pricey than the rowan.

NannyR Sun 17-Mar-13 17:39:39

I've made several blankets in James c Brett's Kool Kotton - a cotton acrylic mix that I think has been rebranded as the cotton on mentioned above.

It's lovely to knit with, very lightweight and can be machine washed and tumble dried. It's also a pretty good price, something to consider as blankets take a lot of yarn!

tribpot Sun 17-Mar-13 16:57:28

You can hold the yarn double but if you're wanting a thick blanket you definitely don't want 100% cotton for it.

MaryRobinson Sun 17-Mar-13 16:55:40

Thank you all. I must go in to my local shop to see what knitted up looks and feels like. I want it to be like the thick ones you can buy.

tribpot Sun 17-Mar-13 13:25:09

Rowan wool cotton is absolutely lovely, I agree. It's not cheap, that said! But it has a lovely definition to it.

BornToFolk Sun 17-Mar-13 12:56:57

I agree with others, pure cotton can be hard to work with and a blanket would be v heavy and stretch out of shape. A cotton blend would be much better. Rowan wool cotton is lovely, I really like it for baby things. If you are dead set on 100% cotton, I'd go for a lacy open pattern so it doesn't get too heavy.

tribpot Sun 17-Mar-13 12:43:12

Things knitted in cotton do soften up as the yarn is worked, but the reason I don't use it for baby things (unless in a blend) is because I think it must take ages to dry and need shaping whilst damp to keep looking good. No-one with a small baby has time to be shaping damp stuff.

The cotton I have used is Patons and Lily's Sugar 'n' Cream (this is an aran weight). Wendy do a cotton aran as well.

My mum's just done a jumper for ds in Recycled DK which is half cotton, half acrylic - it's lovely. (Photos on Ravelry if you're a member). I also like Patons Cotton Twist.

Seabright Sun 17-Mar-13 12:35:44

I've used bamboo yarn before too. It's beautiful and soft and squishy. I'd use it everytime if I could, but budget doesn't stretch, sadly.

Other than that, I love StyleCraft DK Special. Yes, it's acrylic, but is so soft and non-plasticy & loads of colours to choose from

Sirdar Snuggle Baby Bamboo makes a lovely baby blanket (although I've only crocheted with it). It has a cotton like feel but is beautifully soft and has the blanket ends up with a lovely weight & drape to it. It is my yarn of choice for baby blankets.

ananikifo Sat 16-Mar-13 23:51:56

I have sensitive skin and my eczema gets worse when I knit with cotton. Everyone is different. I used to think wool was itchy on me until i started knitting with high-quality wool. On ravelry most people seem to find wool is better for skin than anything else. A superwash merino is lovely and soft and a dream to work with and wear.

I made my nephew a cotton cardigan that was so heavy and stiff I was too embarrassed to give it to him, not to mention the bad feelings I had after working with the cotton for weeks.

JollyYellowGiant Sat 16-Mar-13 23:10:11

But cotton is so good for sensitive skin. Much better than an acrylic mix or wool.

ananikifo Sat 16-Mar-13 23:07:21

Cotton is horrible to knit with. It ruins my hands because it doesn't stretch, and it's heavier than wool or acrylic for the same thickness. I think superwash wool or a cotton blend would make a much nicer blanket.

JollyYellowGiant Sat 16-Mar-13 23:02:01

I recently asked this question on the deramores facebook page, but to crochet a blanket. If you email deramores customer service they'd give you some suggestions smile

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Sat 16-Mar-13 22:59:58

www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/james-c-brett-cotton-on-dk-yarn-681-c.asp
I have heard good things about this cotton/acrylic mix. I haven't used pure cotton yet but it doesn't stretch and can be hard on your hands, I hear.

Rowan all seasons cotton also worth a look, I've used that and it knits up as a aran.

MaryRobinson Sat 16-Mar-13 22:00:41

I've just finished a baby blanket it's acrylic but I really want to make lovely thick cotton one.

Can anyone recommend a yarn please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now