Learning to sew?!

(7 Posts)
WeAreAllBourgeoisNow Sun 10-Mar-13 16:26:00

Thanks everyone!

Oh, I never thought of YouTube! That's how I learned to knit so really should have!

I've avoided Pinterest because a)it keeps wanting to link to my FB and b) I'd never get anything else done! grin

I don't know if I have any independent sewing machine shops near me - I was planning on going into town and looking in John Lewis, but as I didn't really know what I was looking at/what I'd need, I haven't so far!

I seem to remember looking at Craftster years ago - maybe I should check it out again. I shall look at all the links - thanks! smile

rockinhippy Fri 08-Mar-13 22:03:50

Fristar Rossman - IPad fail again :-/

rockinhippy Fri 08-Mar-13 21:58:51

Oops I missed the sewing machine advice bit - I'd recommend finding a small independent shop that does reconditioned second hand machines, then go for a basic old heavy weight model such as Brother, Fristar & argot human, Pfaff of Singer, you only need one that does basic stitches such as flat stitch, zig zag & maybe button hole - depending where you should pick one up with a garauntee for around £50/60 maybe even less.

Don't bother with patterns to begin with, use the tutorials for making smaller things until you feel more confident with your machine, then move up to tutorials for bigger items, then look at the easy range patterns in your local haberdashery

happynappies Fri 08-Mar-13 21:54:35
happynappies Fri 08-Mar-13 21:52:12

I got quite a basic Brother sewing machine from Argos a few years ago, it didn't cost that much... I've no idea how it compares to what 'real' sewing people use, but I got it not sure whether or not I'd use it or not (or whether I was just going through another of my post-baby phases!). I got it out recently and have used YouTube tutorials to learn how to make bunting - it was really easy and really rewarding. The tutorials are so much more engaging than the good old-fashioned way of getting a book and reading about it. It is instant - I could see exactly what to do, and cut out my fabric, made my triangles, attached the bias binding stuff and was done in about an hour! I've since progressed to making a toy penguin for dd, following a free pattern I found online here (hope my links work) and a cape for ds here.

I've asked for lots of crafty stuff for my birthday coming up - then am hoping to get a bit more ambitious!! The magazine 'Handmade Living' was also quite helpful, suggesting nice places to buy fabric, and lots of generally nice ideas!

Pinterest is fab - loads of good ideas on there too. Good luck!

rockinhippy Fri 08-Mar-13 21:44:32

There are lots of easy to follow sewing & craft tutorials on Pinterest, - shout if you are not already on it & need an invite

Also THIS SITE can be good too

Other than that, look at tutorials on YouTube, just put whatever you fancy making into the YouTube search make a bag tutorial for example & see what comes up

HTH

WeAreAllBourgeoisNow Fri 08-Mar-13 14:49:06

Hello,

I'd really love to learn how to sew (thinking of making bags, kids clothes, cushion covers, simple quilts etc etc!)

Can anyone recommend books/websites for a beginner?

Also, any recommendations as to what I should be looking for in a sewing machine?

Also, what sort of patterns/things to make would be suitable for an absolute newbie to sewing?

I just have no idea where to start! Also, is there a sewing equivalent to Ravelry?

Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now