First time quilt maker!

(6 Posts)
tiredteddy Fri 08-Mar-13 11:51:02

Hello, I've decided to make a quilt out of dd's baby clothes. She is def going to be my last DC and I thought I could use her baby clothes to make a quilt ready for when she goes into a big bed.

Can anyone recommend a book or guide to simple quilt making? I'm guessing i will need to use some kind of interfacing on a lot of the fabric as a lot of baby clothes a jersey material. Also how do I go about planning what size squares to use? I want to cut the squares as she grows out of things and store them until I'm ready to make the quilt.

Thank you for you ideas.

Also I'm not a total novice with sewing, I can find my way around a sewing machine and have made curtains, cushion cover, duvet covers etc before.

GemmaTeller Fri 08-Mar-13 13:21:36

here's a pageful of ideas from pinterest:

pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=quilt+from+baby+clothes

GemmaTeller Fri 08-Mar-13 13:22:19
flubba Sat 09-Mar-13 20:43:05

Great idea - I made one for my kids recently which was my second ever quilt - and did a step by step tutorial with my first.

You can put interfacing on the back of the jersey materials to help them keep shape (I didn't for my baby blanket and lots of my squares are very wonky, but I personally don't mind the look).

I wanted to keep the main pattern for most of my clothes, so went for 9" squares. Also I wanted it to be big enough to cover a single bed and so they worked out well for me. If you're going to be cutting them as she grows out of them, I would cut them as large as possible at this stage because you can always cut them down to size later if you realise you need them to be smaller.

lljkk Sun 10-Mar-13 11:56:22

Go to the public library lots of good options there. But I think taking a class in patchwork would be even better.

tiredteddy Sun 10-Mar-13 22:15:46

Thanks for the advice everyone grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now