Has anyone done a course in upholstery?

(5 Posts)
harbinger Thu 28-Feb-13 18:19:58

What could you do after 6 Weeks?

Wingedharpy Fri 01-Mar-13 01:13:16

I'm doing one right now.
It was week 6 today and I'm in the process of re-upholstering a bedroom chair.
I've removed all the old upholstery and re-webbed the chair.
I'm doing it the "old fashioned way" apparently - using hessian and horse hair and making a "rolled edge" with hessian and wadding.
My chair should be completed next week and is looking good if I do say so myself.
I've never done it before and have to say I've enjoyed it but we do have an excellent tutor who is multi-talented and there are a lovely group of women who attend and who are all doing different things (the course is called upholstery and soft furnishing, so some are making blinds, curtains, cushions etc etc).
I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest.

harbinger Mon 04-Mar-13 15:42:40

Thank you for telling me about your course, it sounds wonderful. I like the flexibility of the one you are on as I can think of several projects that need those skills.
Did you have the chair to start with? Hence the course?
I'm tempted by a course but the chair I would eventually like to deal with is a leather captain's type chair. (Which I don't think is a good idea for a novice).
The only other chairs I have are the type with a loose seat pad and I don't feel they are that taxing.

sununu Mon 04-Mar-13 15:58:01

I've done three 8-week terms (spread out over a year or two). It took me the whole of the first two terms to strip back, rebuild and upholster the rather over-ambitious first project I chose, also with traditional techniques (then I did a stool and a dining chair). I kind of understand why professional upholstery is so expensive now! I did love it though. I think I would have the confidence to tackle a project alone now, but I realised it is not actually an easy hobby to keep up - you need space, lots of equipment and supplies and it makes a mess.

harbinger Mon 04-Mar-13 17:11:49

Hmm, food for thought there.

Will come back after I've thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now