We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Good first project for crocheting beginner?

(10 Posts)
dikkertjedap Thu 28-Feb-13 09:17:34

Once you are looking for some other projects, there are several lovely decorations which you can crochet on pinterest, they seem quite small so shouldn't take too long. Things like flowers, bunny, apples, cherries, duck, etc.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 28-Feb-13 08:58:22

another vote for granny squares, there's a decent photo tutorial here as it says watch out for US/UK terminology. Good for keeping the knees warm in this weather grin

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 28-Feb-13 08:20:14

I would say granny squares for a blanket.

I started with squares from a book of 200 granny square patterns and got gradually more complicated. I now have a beautiful blanket to snuggle under.

I also did a scarf with a very easy repeating shell pattern but it's a bit late in the season to start a scarf hopefully!

flubba Thu 28-Feb-13 06:14:49

I started this time last year. My very first attempt was also a flower and it sounds just like your first one!! I then did a few dodgy granny square, an egg cosy (??!), I then progressed onto a little sewing bag and some baby booties. My last project was when I embarked on a lovely stripey blanket for my baby boy where I made up some stitches as I went along - actually didn't take that long in the end.
I have no shame in how crap the first few bits and pieces ended up grin blush grin

PixelAteMyFace Wed 27-Feb-13 22:41:20

I think granny squares are the best way to start - you can try various patterns that way, then stitch them together to make a cushion cover or a throw, depending on how enthusiastic you`ve been smile

My first item was a giant granny square. I found it really helped me get the rhythm

loismustdieatyahoodotcom Wed 27-Feb-13 18:59:04

tried a flower today, and the only way I can describe it is a flower which had been heated and punched with a hole a hole puncher many many timesconfused

PixelAteMyFace Wed 27-Feb-13 18:55:25

Mine was a blanket made up of rows of trebles, took me years (literally) as I kept losing interest/running out of wool/both.

I started it when I was about 12 and finished it just before I left home at 18!

Vajazzler Wed 27-Feb-13 18:53:05

I've been crocheting for 2 weeks and my first attempt was a little flower, which i did sat next to my friend and i followed her stitch by stitch. I am now on my first solo project and am doing a granny square blanket. I sat one evening laptop on knee, hook in hand watching youtube videos. I picked it up quite quickly as its quite repetetive and i'm currently on round 12.

loismustdieatyahoodotcom Wed 27-Feb-13 18:47:42

Know its probably been asked before but what was your first project? So far can do chain, double crochet, slip stitch and am attempting treble crochet at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now