paintings - signing, dating & titling? what's normal?

(11 Posts)
btwo1 Wed 27-Feb-13 16:05:32

sorry there was supposed to be a level of irony in the tone of my last post and i've certainly not ignored what the other people have said.

rockinhippy Wed 27-Feb-13 15:53:18

Sorry, but you sound like a bit of a pretentious prat - apart from over thinking it, you are ignoring lots if good advice already given by several well meaning people people who IME, - which I suspect from your arrogance is far greater than your own - actually DO know what they are talking abouthmm

Good luck

I suspect you are going to need itgrin

btwo1 Wed 27-Feb-13 14:28:24

allowing for artistic flair and temperament, i nevertheless wouldn't want to ruin things by sticking the info bits on there wrong.

rockinhippy Wed 27-Feb-13 14:13:02

I did go to Arts School as I'm sure many did here hmm

btwo1 Wed 27-Feb-13 14:06:49

i guess maybe i can have a look at some different galleries and see what other painters do. perhaps some of the people using these boards went to artschool and no about these things - maybe its class one at art college.

rockinhippy Wed 27-Feb-13 13:04:53

Bottom right & year only here too, initials only in my case though - I do think it's down to preference & style of work though.

I'm looking at a picture by a successful professional artist friend right now & I notice he doesn't sign the picture, but uses a symbol he's known for & his surname shows up at the top right of the picture, but as part of the artwork - he's signed the card mounting at the bottom centre - another successful pop art type artist friend does it in a similar way - I've seen a lot if floral art where the signature is along stems too, so where as bottom right is common, I don't think there are any hard fast rules, traditionally bottom right, but depends really on what you do.

HTH

SeashellHoarder Wed 27-Feb-13 07:34:37

I do just year. Not surname, bizarrely I just use my first name. I think initial and surname is more normal tho.

KurriKurri Wed 27-Feb-13 00:13:30

I do bottom right, initials and surname (although that's just my preference), title on the back and a description of the medium, just year not month and year.
Occasionally I sign something within the context of the painting - so if i did a small study of some flowers or something I might sign parallel to one of the stems (sounds a bit odd I know but sometimes it just looks less obtrusive that way).

btwo1 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:49:28

month and year - or just year...

just initials or full name?

SeashellHoarder Tue 26-Feb-13 19:28:25

Hi! Not sure about others, but I sign bottom right year as well, title on the back. My dad did the same (probably why I do that then!)

btwo1 Tue 26-Feb-13 18:02:53

Obviously artists do their own thing and "there are no rules", but I just wondered what's normal with a painting. To sign in the bottom left or right hand corner? What about putting the date there? To just scribble a title on the back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now