Tell me about staple guns for upholstery

(7 Posts)
MrsFogi Thu 21-Feb-13 18:45:23

So I'm going to have a bash at recovering a dining chair. Can anyone give me any pointers about buying a staple gun (particularly one I can buy online)? All other pointers gratefully received as I have never attempted anything like this at all but don't fancy shelling out for new chairs.

exoticfruits Thu 21-Feb-13 19:21:45

I'm sure that ours just came from somewhere like B & Q. Very basic-works fine.
I did our dining chairs-take off what is there -use it as a pattern-put back on. Do one at a time to see how it goes. Good luck.

exoticfruits Thu 21-Feb-13 19:22:21

Getting the old staples out is the hard part!

cate16 Thu 21-Feb-13 19:34:51

yes- you need the screwdriver looking tool to get the old staples out. Not sure what it's called but it's like a bent screwdriver with a 'v' shape cut out of it.

As for staple guns, I've got a few cheap and expensive ones, and TBH I always find the real cheap one the best- only I can never get replacement staples! The best one I ever had was from woolies about £2.99 it was fantastic.

LatteLady Sun 24-Feb-13 12:28:29

Just remember the upholsterer's adage, that you are not a proper unholsterer until you have stapled your self at least three times! My sister is awaiting her third staple WEG

Happyasapiginshite Mon 25-Feb-13 23:46:10

I've bought two staple guns and one is much easier to use than the other. The better one is called Rapid. Here's a link.

www.rapid.com/enUS/Products/Rapid/Manual_stapling_guns_11686/HANDY_11960/HANDY_Staple_Gun_R53E_12536.html

It was more expensive than the other but well worth it.

PolterGoose Wed 27-Feb-13 18:10:48

I've got a Stanley one, it is a lot better than a cheap one I had previously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now