We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Probably a silly knitting question...

(6 Posts)
Dothraki Thu 14-Feb-13 09:29:21

I'm sure Great Nanna will be delighted -especially as its soooo cold this week smile

NigelMolesworth Thu 14-Feb-13 09:24:46

The one I made looks lovely but the yarn (I now realise) is too heavy/wooly for what I wanted, so it's going to be a surprise present for Great Nanna instead!

I guess if you wanted to be precise (and have them to hand) then 5.5 needles would do it. But agree that 6 will be fine smile.

I have that book. Off for a sneaky peek to remind myself what it looks like.

NigelMolesworth Wed 13-Feb-13 14:00:52

Thank you Dothraki - I was thinking that worst case scenario I would just have a go and see what happened, but as I'm not speedy, I don't relish the thought of undoing and starting again.

Dothraki Wed 13-Feb-13 13:58:07

They are sugesting bigger needles than is recommended on the band because it is a loose knit. 6mm will be fine smile

NigelMolesworth Wed 13-Feb-13 13:45:20

...so please bear with me!!

I have been teaching myself to knit from the Knitty Gritty book and am rather pleased with what I've been able to make! I made a lovely lacy wrap which specified DK yarn on 6mm needles (even though the yarn label said 4mm).

I'm now going to make another one but have bought this lovely silky yarn to make a version which will be good for summer. However the label says to use 3.5mm needles whereas the yarn I used last time said 4mm.

So, should I use 6mm needles or should I use a size smaller?

I hope this makes sense...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now