We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

DIY Steampunk.....Help!

(6 Posts)
MrsMushroom Tue 29-Jan-13 07:41:17

I love Craftster because it's a bit like MN in that the community is very nice..they have regular swaps and competitions too.

lolilolilou Tue 29-Jan-13 00:48:03

yes that is just the sort of thing i was after! I'll hopefully have some new stuff to show off soon!

Thank you mushroom

UnicornCentaur Mon 28-Jan-13 19:45:59

oooo this has kept me busy for ages

thats you mrsmushroom you are marvellous

MrsMushroom Mon 28-Jan-13 19:03:02

Ooh I did a search for you there and here are the results.

MrsMushroom Mon 28-Jan-13 19:00:52

You should definitely visit this site Craftster is brilant.

Go to COMMUNITY and click on CLOTHING there are sections for all kinds of things including tutorials....and the users are so helpful. Lots there who seem to like Steampunk...there's a tute for a steampunk vest on the page I've linked to.

As a beginer you may find it easiest to begin with customising things rather than trying to sew entire outfits...that can come later.

lolilolilou Mon 28-Jan-13 17:49:35

Is anyone experienced with making clothes who could help me with a project?

I LOVE victorian/gothic/lolita/steampunk clothes but i am on a tiny student budget. I have a sewing machine and a bit of experience but i want to learn to make my own costumes.

I have tried looking for commercial patterns and have found some but i want to learn how to make the things i like from scratch. What is the best way to start? Any good books or blogs etc for inspiration or learning techniques?

I'm thinking bustle skirts, corset tops, armlets, hats etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now