Knitting - Beginner

(10 Posts)
smallwonder Sat 26-Jan-13 17:07:42

I'd like to start knitting, squares maybe.
I bought some Katia Rochio wool yesterday and needles (8) from our local shop, over ambitious, it looked pretty! I tried to follow the YouTube tutorial but haven't enough ME time for that.

The Debbie Bliss Cashmerino looks lovely.
What needles would I use, are there patterns for just knitting squares that could later be sewn together?

Thank you (and recommendations for good website to order from pls)

Apologies if this info is too basic for you.

There is lots of helpful advice on the MN Woolly Hugs Website

If you are a complete beginner I would advise buying some inexpensive acrylic yarn to start with, until you build up your skills. When you want to splash out on the more expensive stuff then Deramore's is a good website to order from. Be prepared to spend loads - it is an addictive hobby. grin

Persevere with the scarf though. I made a few for Christmas gifts and it is literally just garter stitch (every row knit) in the loops at the top of the yarn.

smallwonder Sat 26-Jan-13 17:20:44

Thanks for the link - will have a good look when everyone is in bed smile

I tried the garter stitch and thought i was doing okay to begin with but seemed to end up with a mess! It didn't look that difficult until ME tried.

tribpot Sat 26-Jan-13 17:28:50

Yes, I'd suggest starting off with a Woolly Hug square if you would like to - we are currently knitting and crocheting for lemontruffles. Garter stitch is absolutely fine and you only have to do one to have completed your first project smile

Knitfreedom is my favourite teaching website. Have a look under 'videos'. There are two main styles of knitting, continental and American/English - which is why you will see 'knitting - Continental' and 'knitting - American/English' listed under 'the basics'. You are probably knitting in the English style, with your yarn in your right hand. Personally I would learn continental if I was a beginner - it's a bit harder to get started with but easier and quicker to do once you've mastered it. And harder to learn once you've learnt English. However, whichever way you decide you will be fine.

There are conservatively seven gazillion patterns on Ravelry. We have a group there but there will be plenty of help forthcoming here too.

Keep going - knitting is very unintuitive to start with. I was teaching people in November and it reminded me just how odd it is to explain and get started. If you want to say where you are in the country I am sure we will find some local MNers willing to help you in person - your local yarn shop will help as well.

smallwonder Sat 26-Jan-13 23:38:04

Thank you, Tribpot. I've just had a bit of a cry at the moving words posted by the lovely LemonTruffles. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to order 4mm knitting needles and some wool and give it a go.
I donated (bare minimum) to a blanket here before as I couldn't knit and I made a promise to myself to learn, so I'm going to! smile
Fingers and needles crossed!

tribpot Sun 27-Jan-13 00:07:47

Excellent, smallwonder! I know it will be hugely appreciated, and what can be better in any craft project than that?

MOSagain Sun 27-Jan-13 16:44:20

good for you smallwonder its a fabulous thing to do. I only learned to knit in May and since then have contributed to a number of blankets. Its only plain squares that I do so I just keep plodding along but one day I will learn to do something a little more exciting!

I have found that Judy's Knitting Tips on youtube is an amazing knitting channel if you do get the chance to watch something on youtube and learn. I have an awesome book too, The Knitting Book, my bosses gave it to me for Christmas and I haven't put it down since, I wish I had it when I was learning the basic stitches as the pictures and explanations are brilliant, and I'm now using it to learn techniques I had never heard of! smile

I second buying acrylic to practice with, it's inexpensive and easy to pull apart when you muck up! I have a load of spare Hayfield Bonus DK sitting around if you want me to send some? I'm a toy knitter and have about 30 balls of the stuff in different colours grin

Do you have a knitting club near you? They would be able to help you get the knit and purl stitches down, and help you when you muck up! I learn more from my mistakes than I do from my successes I think ;)

Join Ravelry, it's very inspiring and you'll find yourself learning and practicing knitting more often when you see what you can do with it (I joined it 18 months ago and started going on it properly about 8 months ago, since then I've knit loads and learnt loads!)

Don't beat yourself up if you find the squares difficult at first, knitting is a pain in the arse to learn but once you've got it, it's very rewarding smile

ChippingInLovesMN Thu 31-Jan-13 01:22:12

Judy's Knitting Tips on YouTube are The Best! She has a 'casting on' tutorial HERE that couldn't be any slower and still be moving if you need help with that grin

I was teaching a wee girl to knit at the weekend, she's great at knitting holes right now but she's actually picked it up quite well and I'm sure will be knitting more than holes very soon!

Dutchoma Thu 31-Jan-13 11:56:18

If you join Ravelry (ravelry.com) you can put in your location in 'groups' and find one near you.
I would second the advice to get someone to show you, although I know plenty of people who have learned from the internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now