Super chunky-hard work?

(7 Posts)
Molehillmountain Fri 25-Jan-13 16:00:43

Finished beanie-looks silly on me but luckily dd likes it. £3 for the wool, £3 for needles, £3 for pattern. But less than a tenner to learn its not for me!

tiggy114 Fri 25-Jan-13 15:15:42

I find it's great for quick thrills but the product is big and bulky. I knit a lovely tabard type thing. The lady in the rowan catalouge looked like a woodland nymph in it. I look like a fat brown jobbie!!!!! As a result, i have a sack full of rowan big wool in the loft and not inspired to use it anytime soon.

Molehillmountain Thu 24-Jan-13 18:05:20

Glad it's not just me. Seems so laborious.

I'm not that keen either.

I love that it grows quickly (I could do a hat in an evening), but I just can't be bothered with the 15mm needles - they can make your hands ache, I find as well. The other thing was that I did a cardie in Rowan big a couple of years ago which sat in a cupboard for ages before that because although it grew quickly, if something went wrong it showed up really badly. I had to redo one side of the cardie 3 times (hence it being in the cupboard) because even though I was counting rows and being very careful it was significantly different size to the other side i had already completed. I suppose it was to do with the way the decreases made it hang but it was a real struggle for it not to look ropey. I managed it in the end. Now despite it being lovely and soft and warm and not at all heavy, it makes me look about 2 stone heavier. <<sigh>>

I still find I am tempted by the speed it will grow but then I remember the end result!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 24-Jan-13 17:01:03

Yes, I have found exactly the same! I thought it was just me.....

I had this idea that really chunky wool would be lovely to work with but I hate it. I'm using patons big fab wool with a 10mm crochet hook to make an Infinity scarf, but my hands ache when I'm crocheting with it and I'm not enjoying it at all.

I have sort of shelved it for the last few days tbh, need to get another push on soon just to get the damn thing finished.

specialmagiclady Thu 24-Jan-13 16:24:56

I can't stand knitting in big fat wool. Give me DK or 4 ply any time. Those massive needles are so unwieldy!

Molehillmountain Thu 24-Jan-13 15:02:46

I'm knitting a beanie hat in big softie and finding it really hard going. I feel as if I should love it because it grows so quickly but I am really looking forward to finishing and getting back to Aran weight or less. Just me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now