We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

If I were to buy a sewing machine....

(8 Posts)
slug Wed 23-Jan-13 11:52:19

John Lewis do a good basic cheap plastic sewing machine. It does not do button holes, but apart from that drawback, I've used mine to run up everything from curtains to repair DH's jeans.

blue2 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:42:36

I have a Brother which is pretty basic, but computerised. So its great and VERY easy to sew, but if the computer bit goes wrong, it will be curtains (excuse pun!) for the machine.

If you get an older one as rockinhippy suggests, this won't happen.

Either try John Lewis or a big independent place. Not sure where you are, but heard good things about somewhere in or near Tunbridge Wells.www.worldofsewing.com/

Also I think theres a place in Reading and Guildford, too
www.sewmaster.co.uk/

I actually bought mine from herewww.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/

Look for an automatic threader and a drop in bobbin system if youre going for new. Combined, they save me hours of fiddling!

BeaWheesht Wed 23-Jan-13 11:41:54

Thanks all, rockinhippy - that sounds like a great idea - now to find a local seller!

ArtfulAardvark Wed 23-Jan-13 11:35:45

I had a brother for years which I really liked although it was noisy.

I now have a toyota which is much quieter, had great reviews but wtf actually has no tension control (useless)

rockinhippy Wed 23-Jan-13 11:33:41

I'd recommend going to a good independent shop & buying a reconditioned old machine such as Singer, Jones or Pfaff - you will get a good, simple to use basic machine that will last & last & handle all fabrics & jobs without driving you nuts, it will have a guarantee & it will be easy to repair as not so much to go wrong with older machines - depending on where you are you will probably only pay about £50 - 60 - or better still a Bernina, though that won't be as cheap -

this is based on years of experience with working with various machines & I personally now hate modern machines, though if you must go for a new one, Janome are one of the better ones & Bernina of course, but they are expensive new

yuleheart Wed 23-Jan-13 11:23:25

If you go to a good shop they should have ample patience to let you try them and go through the merits of each one.

I have a Brother sewing machine (its been ace for about 8 years and still going strong) and a Janome embroidery machine.

The woman in the shop where I bought the embroidery machine is lovely (even when I went back about six times cos I am thick I didn't understand what I was doing wrong)

OwlCatMouse Tue 22-Jan-13 18:22:18

When I bought one I went to John Lewis and spent a while trying then out, and they recommended one that would be fine for the sort if thing I wanted to do

Janome is the brand, iirc

BeaWheesht Tue 22-Jan-13 18:20:39

What kind would you recommend?

Or would you recommend I do not bother given that I've never used one before?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now