We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ripple - help me choose colours please

(12 Posts)
fossil971 Tue 15-Jan-13 21:48:14

Thanks smile

Seabright Tue 15-Jan-13 08:36:42

That looks great. I have had a nosy at your other projects too - I love the digger jacket, that looks so hard!

fossil971 Mon 14-Jan-13 17:49:48

I'm working on a knitted ripple blanket at the moment in seven colours (repeating stripes). I can't remember the sequence off the top of my head but the colours are a pale and a deep pink, a pale and a deep mauve, light teal, apple green and chocolate brown. Feminine but not too sugary. I've done a bit more now than in this photo but you get the idea.

reindeesandchristmastrees Mon 14-Jan-13 09:34:57

Thanks for the tips, i'd read that about using larger hook for the foundation chain but hadn't thought about marking the chain but it makes sense!
I am on ravelry but only used it to find patterns before, i might look to use it more. I like the fact that i am not alone starting on this
I might chicken out and do 227 foundation chain as i dont want to fall out of love with this and never finish it (i have form)
I'm currently doing a large granny so realistically won't get to start it until next week or so. I have done the test piece so I'm confident with the pattern but terrified of the first row! I think i can't start it until i know i have two hours or so without interruption.

Seabright Mon 14-Jan-13 07:57:43

I' not sure on sizes. In my head I'd like to do a double, but think I might go mad/get bored.

So, I'm thinking somewhere between a single and a sofa throw size. Again, I've been reading the project comments on Ravelry, and either a starting chain of 227 or 297 seems popular.

Oh, and a couple of helpful comment I read:
- mark each group of 28 on the chain with a stitch marker(I use safety pins)
- use a 5mm hook for the chain, then reduce to a 4mm hook for the rest, so the chain isn't too tight.

Next job - sort my wools into a colour order I like.

Are you o. Ravelry? I am Pershilla on there, if you want to link up.

reindeesandchristmastrees Mon 14-Jan-13 00:08:41

I like the look of the varied but i know that i will end up doing a regimented order as I wouldn't be able to cope with the prospect of using the wrong colour and it looking too wonky! I could only do the variegated if I had something to follow, copy someone else's!
i think that so much time is going to be spent on this that we have to get it right. What size are you going to do?
I would like to add some brightness to mine but really need to use up the bargain lilac so need o get complimentary colours. May need to go into a shop rather than online

Seabright Sun 13-Jan-13 22:23:49

I like the idea of mint; pale or bright? Yes, my pack has a lot of colours - 17!

I've just spent a happy couple of hours on the Ravelry site looking at pictures of other people's finished ripples, to help me decide on what type of ripple to do.

I can't decide whether to do "straight" ripple (2 rows of colour A followed by 2 rows of colour B) or go for something a bit more varied like this.

At the moment I am thinking of the latter, but just asked DP's opinion and he likes the "straight".

Any thought?

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 13-Jan-13 20:53:32

Im thinkin of a mint colour with a cream and perhaps a pink. Just working out whether i shoukd do 4 or 5 colours or more? I suppose the pack has quite a few

Seabright Sun 13-Jan-13 20:14:07

I'm about to start a ripple blanket, it have chickened out with the colours and bought a "Lucy Colour Pack"!

Would grey/greens and grey/blues work? With cream?

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 13-Jan-13 19:52:20

Anyone? Shameless bump

reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 12-Jan-13 12:49:28

Sorry, it didn't work - the colour is the pale lilac which is on the right hand side towards the bottom

reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 12-Jan-13 12:48:12

I found 13 balls of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in this shade mauve? (hope link works) in a bargain bin (£2 a ball) so of course had to have them all. I therefore have to do a ripple blanket don't I? So DD will one day have a beautiful blanket but what colours do I go with it. I want it to be about single bed size as although she is not quite 3 now she-- may well be a teenager by the time it is finished-- will want to have it on her bed when bigger.
What colours shall I buy to go with it? Do I want to just add three more colours (40 plus balls surely being enough for a ripple of this size? YES?) or do I have lots of different colours and this v pale mauve colour will be the dominant colour throughout ie mauve, pink, mauve, green, mauve etc?

Currently she is very into pink but I don't want to over pink it. Her room is a pale green, white shutters, mutted pastel spotted rug over oak floor (makes it sound so much nicer than it actually is). Having so many balls of the mauve colour makes me think that it will be quite a muted ripple, do you think we need to jazz it up or keep it v pastel? What do you all think? Ideally you will all want to help me choose how this will work.

Also those of you who have rippled what size hook? I have read that some did the foundation chain with a 5mm hook and then 4mm hook for the rest. The label says 31/4mm hook. I think I generally tend to hook quite loose, especially when going fast. Any general tips you can lend?

I am currently doing a very large granny blanket and so probably wont's start the ripple for a week or so - plenty of time to gather supplies and plan. Ladies, I welcome your help and tips...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now