Friend's 8 year old girl wants to learn to knit

(3 Posts)
KnitWitKnits Tue 08-Jan-13 20:39:59

Wow, thanks LatteLady! This is genius - I love the little rhymes. Might stick with the 'off jumps Jack' version for my friend's daughter...but no doubt my son would prefer the 'stab'em choke'em' version. He's totally taken with the knitting idea, at 4 and a half though am not ready for him to be let loose with needles!

I didn't think of the self striping wool idea - this would work really well. My (German) sister-in-law received a lovely pair of German flag striped socks for her birthday using the very wool you speak of grin

LatteLady Tue 08-Jan-13 20:01:54

OK, first thing is not to go for really big needles use 4 or 4.5mm.

Start by casting on the project and knit a few rows and then let her start with garter (plain) stitch... you could use these rhymes

In through the front door
Once around the Back
Out through the Window
And off jumps Jack.

And if you want to get aggressive:

Stab 'em
Choke 'em
Drag 'em back
Throw 'em away!

And for purl:

Under the fence,
Catch the sheep,
Back we come,
Off we leap!

Use just 10 stitches to make a doll's scarf... use self striping wool, great for creating interest and saying, "just knit to the end of the red colour," and make mini pom poms for the ends... this will also help with handling the wool and manual dexterity. Do it in short bursts. Let her drop stitches and show her how you pick them up... you need to make mistakes in order to learn.

As she becomes more confident, then you can add on purl.... Then casting on and casting off... but most of all have fun!

KnitWitKnits Tue 08-Jan-13 14:07:49

Where do I start?! Short needles I guess, and a simple pattern? Any advice from knitters welcome. I remember getting really frustrated as a child and giving up. My sister got into it as an adult, and not wanting to miss out I joined in (self-taught via YouTube clips) and love it now grin. Are there any new ideas out there in the knitting world that make the whole process more fun? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now