I need a new project. Yarn based suggestions please

(22 Posts)
ooer Tue 15-Jan-13 19:05:13

purplefrog! What a stroke of luck.

Thank you Trib for such a comprehensive reply as ever. Loads of food for thought there. I'm slowly plucking up the courage to try some form of 2 colours - maybe next blanket though... wink

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 14-Jan-13 11:21:39

Knit a knocker with Woolly Hugs!

Well, it would certainly be different smile

TeapotofDoom Mon 14-Jan-13 09:37:25

trib, have a go as you mig be surprised how easy it is! I found this technique on my own, just experimenting so it is nice to see from your link Im not the only one!

tribpot Sat 12-Jan-13 22:13:23

Teapot - I was thinking about doing the snawpaws inside out, following the instructions I found here.

For a beginner to colour-work, I don't know which would make more sense?

TeapotofDoom Sat 12-Jan-13 20:02:34

When I knit Fair Isle in the round, I knit inside out. That helps with the tension.

Sounds weird but -try it!

I also don't knit English or Continental, but Portuguese style (lots of vids on YouTube or check out Andrea Wong's site).

http://andreawongknits.com/

You knit with the yarn round your neck and then threaded through the fingers to tension it. Purling is a breeze and you knit and purl both at the front of the work. Hard to explain but extremely easy to do. Speeds you up no end.

tribpot Sat 12-Jan-13 19:10:17

Not at all, Barbara.

If you want to - and have the patience of a saint - you can just pick up and drop each yarn as you need it. No-one could knit something bigger than a coaster this way though I'm convinced!

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you can hold both yarns in your left hand, the best video of which is this soundless offering from DROPS (they claim they didn't know what language to record it in if not Norwegian .. err ... ). Anyway, don't worry about that for now!

I should say, btw, fairisle is inherently harder to do in purl than in knit, which is why even for flat things, extreme knitters will do them in the round and then cut them at the end shock shock shock. This barbaric practice is known as steeking but let's not talk about that either!

Liat shows the main methods in her video, including both yarns in the right hand. However, to do it two-handed you don't have to be able to knit continental. You can more or less drape the left-hand colour over your index finger and pick it up when needed, just tension it a bit as you do it. What you should do in this case (and indeed with all methods) is make sure you identify, row-by-row, which colour is dominant and which colour is subordinate. In Liat's video the green dominates. So you knit along merrily in green, then grab a blue off your left index finger, then carry on. This also means the green will float 'above' the blue behind the work without you having to think about making sure you pick up the blue from below the green to keep the back looking very even like in the stranding example on this page.

Obviously this dominant colour malarkey is not vital for getting started! But it all helps.

It's definitely worth practising and doesn't take long to get right, especially with the incentive of not having to pick up and drop the yarns every other bloody stitch! If you would like an idea of a test piece that's a bit quicker than a snawheid hat, these are two Milo tank tops I did with the Snawheid pattern on them.

Apologies for the hijack OP. Trib, do you need to do the two different kinds of knit stitch when you do fairilse. I've never really looked into it before but that video makes it look find of achieveable - except for the fact that I've never done continental knitting before. confused

tribpot Sat 12-Jan-13 16:18:58

Kate's latest pattern is Snawheid (the ludicrous pompom is optional, see example I completely recently)

Absolutely GORGEOUS design and, whilst it is knitted in the round you can do nearly the whole thing with a 40cm circular needle so no need to do the double-pointed needle thing until towards the end. There are other methods of handling small circumference circular projects like magic loop.

This should also get you up to speed with two handed knitting.

PurpleFrog Sat 12-Jan-13 16:04:01

ooer - I clicked on your puffin sweater link on Wednesday - I hadn't come across that designer before.

Anyway, today we headed to the coast, to Anstruther, so that DD could look at some baby bunnies she had seen advertised for sale. On the way home I persuaded DP to detour via Pittenweem so that I could have a look in "The Woolly Brew" - a yarn shop that opened about 13 months ago that I have not managed to check out yet.

And she was there! Kate Davies, that is, wearing the Puffin Sweater! What a coincidence! She was signing copies of her book... but I resisted. I did like the sheep blanket they had on show on the table, though.

TeapotofDoom Thu 10-Jan-13 14:19:00

For Fair Isle suggestions, head to Alice Starmore - either her books (think the Fair Isle one is still in print, on Amazon) or her site. Many libraries carry her books, as well.

https://www.virtualyarns.com/alice-starmore/

thislittlemum Wed 09-Jan-13 20:12:07

great! hope to see you joining in then MooseBeTimeForCoffee!

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Wed 09-Jan-13 20:09:20

ooer that's lovely! My kind of challenge smile

thislittlemum Wed 09-Jan-13 20:09:04

join in with my photo project, its easy and will be fun! it is a "52 project" which involves taking a shot of your little one(s) once a week every week for the whole year. it'll be so much fun seeing them change and grow!

check out more details here: http://thislittlemum.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-52-project.html

ooer Wed 09-Jan-13 20:05:29

I have fallen in love with the Kate Davies "puffin" sweater - not fair isle but nice colourwork all the same and I am thinking quicker than fairisle!

I have just ordered the yarn from a firm in Shetland and it came to fifty quid - if that's too pricey there is also a puffin mantle on the same page which gives you all of the colourwork but much less of the plain stocking stitch and uses seven balls of wool instead of seventeen.

The patterns are in her book Colours of SHetland which you can order online - plenty of fairisle knitting in there but it's the Puffin for me!

See what you think.

motherofvikings Wed 09-Jan-13 09:07:18

Fair isle! grin yes I would LOVE to e able to do all the lovely tidy colour changing pattern- y business!

Right fair isle suggestions please! smile

LeChatRouge Tue 08-Jan-13 21:50:55

From the sounds of your previous projects, what about graduating to cable knit or something fair isle? Both not that difficult and would add a degree of interest.

Are you on Ravelry? I often browse there and look for options, also this site is a great inspiring one, although you will need to do some needle conversions as its US based.

Or, if you want to try shaping, how about a cardigan. It's quite easy to knit the back, the two sides, the sleeves and you will get to try shaping and buttonholes, as well as doing the seams at the end.

motherofvikings Tue 08-Jan-13 21:11:39

Hmmm.
I've done a little with multiple needles and got in a terrible tangled mess. blush I powered through but there was much gnashing of teeth!

I thinking smaller than a blanket too. My expensive tastes in yarn are a little prohibitive sometimes. smile

HilaryClinton Tue 08-Jan-13 18:40:10

Latte lady. Sounds fab. Maybe 2014 for me!

LatteLady Mon 07-Jan-13 20:39:31

Socks would be really good fun... but if you fancy an on-going challenge I am undertaking two big projects on my blog this year. One is a quilt as you go quilt, which starts next week and then two weeks after that I am starting a knitted reversible Afghan which means that I have to come up with two 12" blocks a month which are the same on each side. The plan is to have both ready for Christmas!

ouryve Sat 05-Jan-13 21:09:07

Socks!

I love my knitted socks. You can't get much more practical than something that keeps your feet warm.

motherofvikings Sat 05-Jan-13 21:07:35

I need a new project - knitting or crochet, I've got sound basic knowledge of both and a tenacious streak that means I'll watch endless YouTube clips to learn something. blush

I'm not really into twee decorative stuff, more practical useful things.
In the last year I did plenty of squares for the mn blankets (before life got in the way), a hat for dd, a baby blanket for friend, an infinity scarf, a blanket for dd.

Any suggestions? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now