Fabric desgin

(20 Posts)
Stitchthis Sat 05-Jan-13 19:14:24

I've got a dream of designing my own fabrics and then getting them printed by Spoonflower or similar. Has anyone played with digital graphics and similar? Ideas and tips would be great. grin

MrsMushroom Sun 06-Jan-13 00:50:54

I've had a few designs on Spoonflower and have sold quite a bit of yardage on there too....I don't use digital means though, I upload original art and then play with the colours on there.

my mot popular designs have been birds....I don't make much profit but enough to buy myself some fabric when I want.I tend to choose other designers work.

Stitchthis Sun 06-Jan-13 22:07:54

Thanks for the reply...I've had a go here. Do they work? I haven't a clue. What do you think?

LaVolcan Sun 06-Jan-13 22:23:27

I particularly like the sewing machine ones.

I had never heard of spoonflower - I am inspired to try myself now.

Stitchthis Sun 06-Jan-13 22:41:35

It's an excellent site, really clever. Go for it.

Stitchthis Thu 10-Jan-13 22:36:42

Update,,,I've ordered swatches and am v excited...hopefully my designs will be on sale soon!

MissWooWoo Tue 15-Jan-13 00:31:55

did you draw those designs yourself stichthis? I really like the bobbin and the little flower design

stitchthis I love your sewing machine design! It is brilliant! Good luck with seling them, how exciting to be getting the swatches soon!

One day when I can afford it I am going to upload my butterfly drawings on to there and have some fabric made up with my drawings on it. Gosh that would be heavenly!

Stitchthis Tue 15-Jan-13 18:56:47

It's free to upload the designs. Even just doing that is fun!!! Go on, do it.

Stitchthis Tue 15-Jan-13 18:58:28

Have to say, I have been really quite amazed that people like the designs. It's been such a long time since I have done drawing. Its brilliant fun. I think I will carry on even if I don't sell anything...

OK, I'll upload some designs this weekend and see what they look like!

how does it work once you've added designs? <feeling dim> blush

sounds like fun!

Stitchthis Fri 18-Jan-13 19:20:29

You order swatches. Make any tweaks. Then you can sell!! My swatches may have arrived but are at the PO. can't wait!

Post a link if you upload so we can drool!

rabbitonthemoon Sat 19-Jan-13 08:23:09

Hi I'm v interested in spoonflower - how are shipping costs/times? And has anyone ordered the knit fabric?

MoreFrontThanBrighton Sat 19-Jan-13 08:32:45

Is it US based? I had no idea such a thing even existed <faint with excitement>

How much did the swatches cost you with postage? Are the swatches big enough to use (patchwork)

Stitchthis Sun 20-Jan-13 18:36:32

Okay, I'll try and post this the second time!

Swatches are 8 in.². So great for patchworking. Mine haven't arrived yet hmm

They start at five dollars and the price goes down the more you do. You have to be careful how you order however as they only count the number of swatches in each collection. Basically, put all your swatches into one collection to make it as cheap as possible.

Postage is seven dollars. I think that's a flat rate. I will post pictures when they finally arrive

Have you put your designs up yet ladies?

Thanks for the info!

My designs are not up there yet, haven't got round to scanning them into the laptop yet...

I have started my second quilt though grin

Stitchthis Fri 01-Feb-13 22:29:14

I got my swatches!!!!!!! Yay!!!! here they are...loving actually touching something I designed....over is that you with the butterfly?!?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now