Argos value sewing machine...

(17 Posts)
MrsSham Sat 05-Jan-13 15:50:32

I just picked collected it. Not tempted to have a play now as I have an essay to finish, but as soon as dd is home from her dads later I shall get it out of the box and have a play with it.

EvaLongoria Sat 05-Jan-13 10:37:10

I only learnt to sew end of August teaching myself. I bought a second hand Janome retail value of £350 for £50 from preloved.co.uk. It's so much better than buying a brand new but limited machine I was told and don't regret it at all. Meaning whatever I'm learning I can use my machine without having to upgrade.

MrsSham Sat 05-Jan-13 10:25:27

Thanks everyone, no ikea close to me, so ill pop down and collect the Argos one later, thanks soupdragon.

yellowsun Sat 05-Jan-13 09:52:18

I got the ikea one for Christmas. I'm a complete beginner and it's very easy to use. I finished making my first project last night. My mum knows her sewing machines and was impressed with it.

TuftyFinch Sat 05-Jan-13 08:11:35

I got a Lidl one which I'm pleased with.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Jan-13 08:06:04

There is a review of the Ikea one here if you scroll down.

SoupDragon Sat 05-Jan-13 08:01:02

The Ikea one has been mentioned on here before

SoupDragon Sat 05-Jan-13 08:00:27

That Argos one looks like it does everything you would want a beginner machine to do although I am no expert by any means)

I imagine it will only handle light/medium weight fabric and may not be very roust but as a starter it would probably be fine for the price.

lauraellajane Fri 04-Jan-13 21:08:38

I haven't seen the Argos one but I started out with a John Lewis Mini machine a couple of years ago. It was brilliant and was able to cope with any small projects like bunting, cushion covers, patchwork etc (not quilting of course). Would highly recommend it as a starter machine as it's fab for the price and really easy to use. 2 years later I've moved on to a fairly basic Janome model (around £130) so I can get to grips with more adventerous stuff.

MrsSham Fri 04-Jan-13 19:39:10

I just got it up looks very similar spec to Argos one. I just reserved argos one for for store pick up tomorrow. See if others can give advice here. I have never used one before but my dd age 6 would love to make things.

Gorja Fri 04-Jan-13 19:33:55

Was £45 in store but hubby gets 15% discount so was wondering whether to get him to grab me one.

MrsSham Fri 04-Jan-13 19:29:25

How much is the ikea one?

Gorja Fri 04-Jan-13 19:28:50

Was just going to ask about sewing machines on here.
Does anybody have the ikea one? Saw it in store today but couldn't decide whether to treat myself or not.

Thanks

MrsSham Fri 04-Jan-13 19:26:25

Nothing adventurous just sewing projects with dd, cushions, bunting etc. even just learn how to use a machine.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 19:16:24

What are you planning to do with it?

MrsSham Fri 04-Jan-13 19:02:22

Thanks for any responses.

MrsSham Fri 04-Jan-13 19:02:02

Do you have one? How would you rate it? Never sewed before looking for a cheap machine, reviews are mixed just wondered if its worth buying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now