What size knitting needles?! Help!

(5 Posts)
cupcake78 Fri 04-Jan-13 14:39:48

I've found a pattern for a throw I love and want to downsize it into a baby blanket/pram blanket.

Original pattern suggests chunky wool on size 10mm kneedles. Way too big for what I need.

So I've bought some average standard wool which suggests size 6mm kneedles. Can I just knit the same pattern but downsize the wool and kneedles to make it smaller?

KelleStar Fri 04-Jan-13 15:06:25

Is the yarn a Double Knit? What pattern is it? might be able to find a link online to view the pattern.

If you find the pattern on ravelry you can see what yarn type others have used and see how it looks. Can be helpful if you don't want to use the suggested yarn.

DK or Double Knit usually requires a 4mm needle.

The pattern will come out smaller, but no exact idea of how small, I've knitted a pattern on 3mm needles with 4ply for DD's doll, it should have been DK on 5mm needles.

tribpot Fri 04-Jan-13 15:08:54

Well, it will be smaller but it would be a lot simpler just to downsize the pattern! If you post a link to said pattern we'll see what we can do. In the meantime, why not knit a test swatch - that is, a square say 25 stitches across and maybe 20 rows high, so you can compare the gauge to the one intended for the pattern. That'll help decide the best way of downsizing.

cupcake78 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:37:30

It's cable pattern, yes dk wool. Pattern is in book so can't find it online. I've just tried first 20rows and I think it's going to work. If only I could stop dropping stitches.

First attempt at cable so wish me luck !

tribpot Sat 05-Jan-13 10:59:18

Good luck! The pattern is probably on Ravelry even if you can't buy it from there, hope you can find it so we can see it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now