We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Easiest possible crocheted blanket border?

(10 Posts)
DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sun 23-Dec-12 15:41:21

Just to confuse matters, for baby blankets, I do a couple of rounds of HTC and then crab stitch (reverse double crochet) all the way round which gives a rope like edge.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 23-Dec-12 12:16:37

Slip stitch - through, yarn over, back, through loop

Yes, just stuff the hook into everh likely-looking gap wink

belindarose Sun 23-Dec-12 12:09:26

Thanks again.
Not sure what a slip stitch is. But I can look it up.
Will it be obvious where to stitch into the blanket?

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sat 22-Dec-12 19:33:13

Alternate double crochet and picot stitches is pretty. A picot is: double, chain 2, slip stitch into the double. It creates a point smile

belindarose Sat 22-Dec-12 19:25:10

Oh yes, I know that one. Just not the abbreviation. Thanks.

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Sat 22-Dec-12 18:57:34

HTC: yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull the loop back through the stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over and pull through all three loops on hook

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Sat 22-Dec-12 18:53:48

HTC - half treble crochet

belindarose Sat 22-Dec-12 18:48:18

Thanks. I really am a beginner though. HTC?!?

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Sat 22-Dec-12 18:37:50

I usually add a couple of rows of htc all the way round first to square things up, then I 'm quite partial to a shell border - clusters of 5 trebles like this one

belindarose Sat 22-Dec-12 17:12:32

I might just get my first ever blanket done by Christmas. It's the Bella Dia vertical striped one and baby DS (fabric obsessed) will love it. I'm worried about a border though - it definitely needs one. As I'm an absolute beginner, my tension is a bit off and the first stripes are tighter than later ones, making it a bit bow shaped.

How should I do a border? This is my first ever project so needs to be super simple. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now