Soooo, should I try and knit some socks? i feel intimidated...

(122 Posts)
jobnockey Sun 18-Nov-12 22:11:01

... but i feel i should try. How hard is it? I have only just got my head around using a circular needle and have always been a bit scared of usings DPNs...

Shall i give it a go or will it drive me round the bend? (I am a novice/intermediate knitter... trying to be more adventurous than hats and jumpers...)
Tips and encouragement/discouragment welcomed!

sunnysunnyshine Fri 23-Nov-12 16:22:11

Haha Daisy grin

MrsHoarder What's your christmas stocking like? I want to knit ds a stocking. Is it difficult? I've been looking for a chunky knit one which will be quicker to knit and hopefully done in time for christmas THIS year...

I didn't even think of getting special 'sock' yarn. Is it just generally stronger then?

And is it possible to use circular needles on a pattern that uses dpns does anybody know? Just cos I've already got a lot of sizes of circular needles and find them a bit easier to use.

Questions questions....

Viviennemary Fri 23-Nov-12 16:30:57

There is a method of using two circular needles which looks dreadfully complicated so I've never tried. It's called the magic loop method. Don't know if it's been metioned on here. But a lot of people seem to swear by it.

I got some very small double pointed needles and found them much easier to knit with.

Viviennemary Fri 23-Nov-12 16:32:35

Sorry I think you only use one circular but make it into a loop.

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Fri 23-Nov-12 17:23:17

Regia makes a 6ply this which is basically DK weight. I will have a mooch for patterns later, maybe a simple ribbed one as we are (mostly) beginners?

MrsHoarder Fri 23-Nov-12 17:43:51

sunny The Christmas stocking is this one. I'm a slow knitter and expect to finish it within the fortnight. Well except maybe for the dupliate stitch, that might be done on Christmas Eve.

It will have DS's name around the top and (I think) a snowman on the side. Quite excited about it really.

jobnockey Fri 23-Nov-12 21:44:04

Ha ha! Daisy, I think sock wanking should be another thread altogether...

Well my lovely opal yarn has arrived and i paid £3 extra for a set of DPNs, stitch markers and a basic pattern so i am ready to go. I am wondering whether to start tonight, probably too late now and I have had a a few wine so might be better to wait...

Who's in for the great sock knit along?

FlamingoBingo Sat 24-Nov-12 06:55:50

Haha Daisy grin I was looking up DK on urban dictionary, certain there must be some obscure sexual reference to the initials I had never heard of grin

What will the KAL involve? All knitting certain parts at certain times? I can cast on my next sock and join in? Do you all want to finish a pair by Christmas? If so, am happy to be chief whip-cracker if no one else wants to? And then maybe in the New Year we can arrange some themes or something and do it more co-ordinatedly (fab new word! grin)

MrsHoarder Sat 24-Nov-12 08:40:29

Does anyone have a revelry link to a free basic sock pattern please? Then I'll join the kal. Otherwise considering ordering a sock book from the library, but it could take weeks to arrive.

MrsHoarder Sat 24-Nov-12 08:41:10

Does anyone have a revelry link to a free basic sock pattern please? Then I'll join the kal. Otherwise considering ordering a sock book from the library, but it could take weeks to arrive.

trumpton Sat 24-Nov-12 08:51:30

Picture of my first pair of socks on my profile . They were from the free sock pattern I got with the opal sock yarn .

sunnysunnyshine Sat 24-Nov-12 12:16:39

Wow Mrshoarder those stockings look really lovely but I wouldn't know where to start with knitting actual pictures... A snowman will be amazing! Make sure you put a pic up when they're done!
I'm after a chunky knit cable pattern, but a v simple one. The ones on ravelry are a bit complex...

Thanks viv I might try using a circular needle, I've done the magic loop on the sleeves of jumpers. It's just if I can adapt the dpn pattern - all seems v confusing at the mo!

Yay I'm up for a KAL! Also about to start a cardigan for dh and hopefully a stocking for ds, but would like to knit my dad some socks too.

On way to hobbycraft to get some wool now smile

sunnysunnyshine Sat 24-Nov-12 12:17:22

Trumpton they're brill!!

MrsHoarder Sat 24-Nov-12 12:24:09

Its not as scary as it looks, and the basic pattern is pretty simple. I've just worked out how to do stripes and duplicate stitch for this, its nearly all straightforward knit except for the heel (which was easier than I expected).

If you don't feel up to names and stripes it can be used for a solid-colour stocking...

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Sat 24-Nov-12 12:31:54
MagiMingeWassailsAgain Sat 24-Nov-12 12:36:23

They are a basic ribbed sock in 4ply.

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Sat 24-Nov-12 12:38:17

wisehilda.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/by-popular-demand-basic-ribbed-sock.html

Same pattern from blog in case anyone is not a member of Ravelry. Though you really must join, it's great

MrsHoarder Sat 24-Nov-12 14:15:31

Fab thank you. I've queued them.

BornToFolk Sat 24-Nov-12 14:51:49

I love knitting socks. It's what I knit most, I think. I am in fact currently wearing a very nice pair that I made myself recently. Very warm and snuggly in this horrible weather!

This Knitty article is a very good introduction to sock knitting.

I made my dad some socks from Regia 6-ply recently. It goes much quicker than 4 ply and makes a nice thick sock.

Opal and Regia are great sock yarns. Both are 75% wool, 25% nylon. The wool makes the yarn sock and warm and the nylon adds strength. I do frequently use 100% wool yarn too because you can get some lovely hand-dyed 100% wool. The downside is that you do need to handwash (Regia and Opal go in the washing machine fine) but it's worth it for the lovely colours!

littleladyindoors Sat 24-Nov-12 15:05:23

you are all a lot of enablers!!! I am going to have to try some socks now for my mum for christmas. Will you all throw me out if I knit some flat whilst you-experts do it on dpns? I havent even picked up stitches before- I get my mum to do it- I am currently knitting a jumper for my XLDH which I swore Id never do- never mind!

MoaningMingeWhimpersAgain Sat 24-Nov-12 15:08:35

Littlelady - if you get stuck, look on YouTube, or Knittinghelp.com, or Ravelry or post on here.

You can't knit proper socks flat, it is against the law and the knitting police will come for you grin

G'wan, I haven't made a whole pair yet either.

littleladyindoors Sat 24-Nov-12 15:46:17

Moaning- I really dont need a knitting criminal record, ive only just got my reputation back grin

I will have a look at home, Ive got some DPNs I think in my drawer- i know ive got 3.25mm and 5mm but im sure there are some 2.75mm in there somewhere. I use them for icord.
Ive just had a look at the silvers sock class tutorial mentioned up thread so Ill give that a go I think. cue the swearing when I start!!! I have some in my rav library but Im just a scaredy cat

I would be looking at more patterns but people keep coming into my shop to buy things- dont they know Im trying to knit LOL grin

littleladyindoors Sat 24-Nov-12 20:30:28

Right, I've taken the plunge and I am knitting on more needles than I think is humanely possible! And I'm doing it!!! I am knitting on DPNS in the round!! Thankyou all for shoving me at this-this may all change when I start to turn a heel!!!

MoaningMingeWhimpersAgain Sat 24-Nov-12 20:43:06

grin grin Just ignore the needles except for the two you are using

It'll be fine

I will join in the sock fest after Christmas. I have too many projects on hand atm including some antlers for another MIners dog and Woolly Hug stuff.

MoaningMingeWhimpersAgain Sun 25-Nov-12 12:15:00

I will start after I have finished my current WIPS, I have a test knit cardigan and a small baby blanket and a very quick scarf all on the go.

TBH I did try to cast one on last night using some dark grey cygnet 4 ply but it seems a lot thinner than the Regia sock yarn so will need to find my 2.25mm needles I think, it's too loose on the 2.75s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now