Blanket for My5boysandme - support for knitters

(168 Posts)
tribpot Wed 10-Oct-12 18:32:48

All our thoughts and sympathies are with the family of baby Dexter, and most particularly with his mum, My5boysandme.

The chat thread has given details of the yarns and pointed to the Crafters' Guide. I will check back to our last support thread for any newer patterns that haven't yet made it up there.

Please stop by if there is any help you need with your square - the crocheters are regular guest stars as well (it's a bit like NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles).

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 26-Oct-12 20:09:43

We really do smile with the furthest away being New Zealand, then Australia, but we now have all four corners of the globe covered.

Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 20:53:14

Oooops I've done it again. I've posted my last couple of squares with a card for My5 but forgot to include a note to u guys that its my squares!
So garter stitch (is that what its called?) And Chinese waves in green.

Is there anything else my basic knitting can help with?

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 26-Oct-12 20:57:33

Thank you Flo thanks I l

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 26-Oct-12 20:57:56

I'm on the phone. Can anyone tell?!

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 26-Oct-12 21:01:19

Big courgettes for fingers. That is my problem. grin

Lovely Flo, if you have woolly wool and the time, check out our Little Hugs project. There is a thread somewhere in Arts and Crafts. I would link it but beat I don't try. Who knows where you will end up. But we are collecting squares in for that. Have a look maybe? Hopefully some lovely will link for you or I will do it when I can get back in the computer. wine thanks

Flojo - I was about to link, but saw you found your way there smile. I'm one of the overseas knitters (and the other half of droitwich's bear tag team grin).

Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:39:41

Can I ask, u seasoned knitters, I've never had to join wool before (only made children's scarves and teddies...and squares!) How exactly do You do it?
Only I you tubed it and a lot said you make a tail and knit three stitches with the 2 yarns together. My mum (yes I'm 32, not 12!) told me its nonsense and she just leaves a tail and starts knitting with the new ball.

Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:40:23

Oh how exciting, what a wonder I've been missing out on!

Flo I used to do it your mum's way but now I knit a few stitches using both the old ball of wool and the new one and much prefer it. A word of warning though - when you knit the next row don't forget you have a double lot of wool for those stitches or you will do what I have done and wonder where the extra ones came from confused
<high fives shredded>

Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:13:09

So on the next row do u have to knit together too? And remember where u did it? And then the 3rd row u r back to normal?

On the row where you join the 2 balls, when you wrap the wool round the needle to make the stitch double up so you are wrapping wool from both the new and the old balls round together. When you do the next row, treat both strands as if they were one. It will be back to normal on the row after that.
It sounds a lot but you are only doing a few stitches like this and not the entire row!

Hey! Droitwich! Just checked out the bear and she is indeed beautiful! Thank you so much for the sewing and stuffing thanks

Flojo1979 Sat 27-Oct-12 08:18:47

Thankyou I can finish my scarf that's been sat in the cupboard for 6 months because I didn't know how to join the next ball!

HairyPotter Sat 27-Oct-12 08:31:50

Glasgow Woolly huggers meet up
here come and join us for coffee, cake and possibly a wee bit of knitting grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 27-Oct-12 08:41:04

One day I'll come to Glasgow! Have fun on Monday smile

KnottyLocks Sat 27-Oct-12 09:26:26

Morning smile

We'll get to Glasgow one day!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 27-Oct-12 10:32:51

We really will wine

tribpot Thu 01-Nov-12 09:42:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now