Blanket for My5boysandme - support for knitters

(168 Posts)
tribpot Wed 10-Oct-12 18:32:48

All our thoughts and sympathies are with the family of baby Dexter, and most particularly with his mum, My5boysandme.

The chat thread has given details of the yarns and pointed to the Crafters' Guide. I will check back to our last support thread for any newer patterns that haven't yet made it up there.

Please stop by if there is any help you need with your square - the crocheters are regular guest stars as well (it's a bit like NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles).

tribpot Fri 12-Oct-12 20:44:52

Yes, good point Pistey - so far the section on joining squares together would have read:

- send them to Pistey, Knotty or Pidj
- sit back and relax.

grin Now we've entered a new realm! People might find it easier to do a blanket all in one piece for mini-hugs, than figure out how the hell to sew all the squares together. That said, on the Refuge blanket some of the knitters have found the big squares quite heavy going compared to tossing off <you should excuse the expression> a few 6" squares smile

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 12-Oct-12 21:19:23

Ahem, now my flashers has been out done by Trib's tossing off surely?? grin

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 21:35:35

<snort> @ Trib grin

Right, off to start joining squares....

Wish me luck

Primrose123 Sat 13-Oct-12 12:00:48

Just read that birnamwood is doing a 'D'. I wondered if other knitters could do the other letters to make Dexter's name? I would offer myself, but I don't think my knitting skills are that advanced! Just an idea. smile

tribpot Sat 13-Oct-12 12:37:06

Primrose - I don't think birnamwood is doing a D now. Pistey's not looking for too many initials for this blanket I think - we're to crack on with whatever we fancy.

KnottyLocks Sat 13-Oct-12 13:02:20

Hello, lovelies smile

Initials are in hand, bless you x

HairyPotter Sat 13-Oct-12 13:19:15

Trib Thanks for not outing me as the crap knitter on the refuge blanket grin <outs self>

I have completed one square for Dexter and will get another one done asap. Away for a mini holiday tomorrow, and my knitting will be coming with me. I'm becoming such a knitting geek, that dh and dds bought me related stuff for my birthday yesterday wine I now have a lovely non embarrassing bag to take with me to woolly huggers cake meetings, as well as loads of wee useful bits and pieces.

On another random note, I am loving using the posh wool again. Tis gorgeous and feels beautiful.

tribpot Sat 13-Oct-12 13:25:03

Hairy - not crap knitter, just happier tossing off a 6" one wink (right, that is the last time I am making my 'tossing off' joke). Happy birthday for yesterday! Nowt wrong with a fab knitting bag, what did they get you?

The posh wool truly is gorgeous. I was about to start a Hermione Hearts Ron in it for myself, in the lovely Rowan Mist. I might wear it even in midsummer as I bet it's going to be super-cosy.

HairyPotter Sat 13-Oct-12 13:33:52

Yes, was very quick to toss a 6 incher off <snurk>

<whispers> it's not really a knitting bag, just a nice bag to keep knitting in smile I also got circular needles and am going to give the lime smoothie a go. ( did you get the cream one yet btw)

tribpot Sat 13-Oct-12 13:43:17

Not yet - when did you post it? Given your frustration with it, are you sure you didn't just burn it and convince yourself mentally you'd posted it? wink

This weekend I shall be mostly communing with the apricot Smoothie putting the icord border on the heart blanket.

I'm quietly coveting the Namaste bag for knitting, not that I could ever cram all my current projects into it.

HairyPotter Sat 13-Oct-12 14:00:16

Thursday, but second class <cheapskate emotion>

That bag is stunning! You should buy it in every colour.

tribpot Sat 13-Oct-12 14:20:18

I love this review of it on Ravelry. I think you're right about one in every colour.

Flojo1979 Sat 13-Oct-12 14:27:14

Hi, I'm new to all this.
What do u mean, no blocking? So I can make sure I don't do it!

Flojo1979 Sat 13-Oct-12 14:29:46

As for the Int-arsey thingy, totally lost!

KnottyLocks Sat 13-Oct-12 14:51:42

Flojo, if you don't know what blocking is there is very little chance you'll do it grin

KnottyLocks Sat 13-Oct-12 14:53:51

Blocking is basically when you've finished knitting or hooking, you 'shape' your work by either spraying it/washing it and pinning it out in the desired shape or by giving it a gentle iron.

Please don't do any of this as it is much easier for us hookers to hook the blanket together when squares aren't blocked. thanks

KnottyLocks Sat 13-Oct-12 14:56:25

And don't you worry about that Intasy thing.

The Woolly HUgs mantra is 'Simple squares are good. Simple squares are essential'

If every square was complicated and fancy, the blankets would be so very busy. The fancy and the simple show each other off beautifully.
Because the wool is so lovely, even the simplest square looks gorgeous.

Flojo1979 Sat 13-Oct-12 15:09:02

Phew glad to hear it! Was beginning to panic there, when someone said no blocks I suddenly thought they meant no plain squares!

Hello ladies, I have been to John Lewis today and purchased two lovely ball of wool, now I need to decide what patterns...so excited (tell I don't get out much lol)

Ok, I have just started a square with 33st's and it has measured 5 1/2 " shall I just increase my number of stitches ?

How many rows have you done? The measurements do change once you get going so I usually measure after about 5 rows

trumpton Sat 13-Oct-12 20:00:32

No, keep to 33 stitches. It is difficult to measure width whilst still on needles and there is always room for a bit of leeway on size . < taps nose knowingly>

tribpot Sat 13-Oct-12 20:22:27

Certainly do a few rows before measuring. Everyone's gauge is different, 33 is only a guide.

Oh well, you were right got to 15 rows and it is 6 1/2 inches lol, so going back to 33 smile

HappyTurquoise Sat 13-Oct-12 20:55:57

Is there a deadline for the squares for this? Would it be ok to finish a little hugs blanket and then do the squares for My5Boys (have got 2 types of blue to crochet, hoping to do 4 squares). Send them all off together some time in the next week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now