Blanket for My5boysandme - support for knitters

(168 Posts)
tribpot Wed 10-Oct-12 18:32:48

All our thoughts and sympathies are with the family of baby Dexter, and most particularly with his mum, My5boysandme.

The chat thread has given details of the yarns and pointed to the Crafters' Guide. I will check back to our last support thread for any newer patterns that haven't yet made it up there.

Please stop by if there is any help you need with your square - the crocheters are regular guest stars as well (it's a bit like NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles).

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 11-Oct-12 21:50:56

<turns round and leaves quietly>

GlaikitFizZombie Thu 11-Oct-12 22:16:55

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz grin

Would be funny if I wasn't allergic to bee stings! Would not like a bee flasher to flash me! The Hive on Disney junior gives me the heebee jeebees!

Thanks for starting the new thread Daniela Trib. Haven't signed up for this blanket yet but of course I will. Wondering about the little cable owl but want to do a nice border so will have to get my planning hat on.

Good grief, flashing on page 1, whatever next grin.

I have started a smocking pattern square from the Refuge pattern book. Very simple, but looks nice.

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 07:58:43

I've finished it! Looks good so I'm going to use it for the woolly hug I'm doing just got to sew it together confused

I'll post a pic when I've stopped baby and schoolboy wrangling. <ponders sewing schoolboy into his uniform for the winter to avoid daily arguments>

tribpot Fri 12-Oct-12 09:48:21

Well done Birnam!

Shredded - the smock stitch is very cute.

workhouse Fri 12-Oct-12 10:20:10

New knitter signing in here. New to the "hugs" that is not to actual knitting. I'm ordering the wool today so should be able to start Monday.

Mumsnet is such a supportive place and I am mainly a lurker on all the main boards - but I'm not too good with meaningful words, so it is nice to be able to do something.

Is it correct that the you don't want the squares blocked?

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 12-Oct-12 10:50:38

Hello workhouse! Yes to the no blocking. It makes it easier to hook the squares together! Have you seen the guide? www.woollyhugs.com/crafting-guide/pattern-ideas-for-knitters/ it have everything you need to know in it.

Welcome workhouse!

Birnham - looking forward to seeing a picture of your square.

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 13:57:51

I will when I get home, I'm currently enjoying a sandwich and coffee CHILDFREE shock anyone that approaches gets the death stare. I'm never on my own and thoroughly enjoying it smile

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 12-Oct-12 14:07:36

Ah.... Hot coffee! The one reason I work 3 days a week!

DS asleep and DD at school. Thought I'd couple my hot cup of tea with a mooch through my yarn mountain stash. My Debbie Bliss/Rowan hoard alone is very blush.
Really must use up some of the odds and ends for this blanket. Any ideas, other than stripes, for multi coloured squares?

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 12-Oct-12 14:54:34

Fairisle patterns can work Barbara there are 2 in this photo and a couple of different stripy ones too.

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 17:33:40

Well here it is. Be nice smile

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 12-Oct-12 18:00:36

Ace birnamwood! I love it! What is the textured square to the right?

tribpot Fri 12-Oct-12 19:13:57

Lovely work, Birnamwood! Barbara, I think you should have a crack at the colourful spiral square - a very relaxing piece of work. Ha ha.

This here a simple two-colour fairisle I made up for an earlier blanket.

And who could forget the brioche experience <shakes fist at Minnie to see if she can be shaken out of hiding>

Gorgeoise blanket Birnamwood. smile

Thanks Trib and Fizzy. Fairisle requires fewer teeth hands than intarsia, right?

Fizzy has kindly PMd me the lovely hearts patter already. Some other nice suggestions too.

Where is Minnie by the way? We miss you Minnie!

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 12-Oct-12 19:53:10

Can I add these linked patterns to the guide at some point trib?

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 20:01:25

Phew, thank you. Any tips on how to sew it together? Actually, I'll go and have a gander at the woolly hugs support thread, if there is one. I don't want to hijack this thread too much smile

Glaikit, the textured one is Chinese waves. I got it from here.

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 20:03:01

Meant to add, I got it from the woolly hugs crafting guide

Can/could you crochet Birnam. Attic24 has a tutorial here but I haven't tried it so can't vouch for the results.

Birnamwood Fri 12-Oct-12 20:12:35

I've bought a hook (asked for a crotch-et hook not a cro-chet hook in the shop as that's the way I say it in my head blush) I know a tiny, tiny bit about it

Well the pictures make it look really easy grin

tribpot Fri 12-Oct-12 20:27:07

Pistey - they're already in the guide, except for the pink flashes. I'm trying to do a round-up of the ones we discovered in the last blanket, but a lot of them were out of books and stuff.

Birnam - you may find it easier to sew them - or at least more satisfying if you can master mattress stitch. This is a lot easier if you can see someone do it in person, mind you.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 12-Oct-12 20:29:23

I think we might need to add suggestions to the guide for attaching squares for Little Hugs, will have a thinky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now