Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 13:59:29

Um... I never finished the scarf blush It is lying, neglected, in the bottom of the picnic basket I use to hide WIPs in the living room.

Cocoaone Fri 30-Aug-13 14:05:06

Does anyone have any yarn recommendations for a baby blanket?

I'd love to do a really poshly soft one, but my DB and DSIL are not the best at looking after things, so something soft for the baby and easy to wash are more important. And then the DNs can play with it for dolls after

thanks

ParkerTheThief Fri 30-Aug-13 14:46:31

Baby Bamboo is lovely and not too expensive. It comes in lots of lovely colours.

If money is no object sublime cashmerino is gorgeous but £££.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 15:11:15

Another vote for Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo. smile

Cocoaone Sat 07-Sep-13 10:29:45

Argh how did I miss these?! Ended up buying some baby dk acrylic stuff from hobbycraft in desperation as they had little else. But I'm not happy with the colours so it might be destined to end up as a blanket for DD's doll....

Serious lack of yarn-selling shops where I am. And I hate buying 'blind' online. Will just have to take the plunge I think...

Kveta Sat 07-Sep-13 10:41:03

I really want to try and make DBrother a thick blanket for his birthday, as he lives in the frozen north - thing is, his birthday is November the 21st, and I am new to blanketing - any tips on making a quick crochet blanket? is super chunky yarn and a huge hook the way forward? I'm about 1/4 of the way through a single bed sized stripey blanket using DK and a size 5 hook, and it has taken me 2 weeks so far, so I think I need a faster method for his birthday!

cocoaone I ended up buying yarn at hobbycraft and wilkos, and they just weren't quite good enough - so on the recommendations of MNetters, I got a 'lucy bundle' of stylecraft special DK from wool warehouse, and it is lovely - bargainous acrylic, and really nice to touch. I was wary of buying blind too, but it was worth it smile (DH may disagree, as I now have quite a lot of yarn in the house...)

SoupDragon Sat 07-Sep-13 11:53:57

I am completely inexperienced in blanketeering too. I've only made one and that took me a year (not continuously!)

A thicker yarn would be quicker. Also, a pattern where you do the whole blanket rather than lots of squares you have to sew together.

SoupDragon Sat 07-Sep-13 11:54:55

Cocoaone If you are happy with an acrylic, the Stylecraft Special DK is wonderful.

Cocoaone Sat 07-Sep-13 20:30:51

I have actually made the attic24 granny stripe using the stylecraft bundle, I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me for this! And I was going to buy some more soon to make an owl cushion for my sister, so maybe I'll add a few extra balls onto the order for the blanket...

thanks

Cocoaone Sat 07-Sep-13 21:17:52

I just ordered some lovely pink shades in Stylecraft Special Dk, and some chunky yarn for the owl cushion. Would have been rude not to take advantage of the free delivery over £25... managed to spend £25.36!

MiaowTheCat Mon 09-Sep-13 15:41:11

I did a granny stripe cushion in style craft recently. I love it, its hideously loud! Dd1 has appointed herself quality control of crochet and will poke her finger in every hole in the pattern to make sure it all works!

Kveta Mon 09-Sep-13 21:57:54

I really want to do a cushion cover, but am a bit perplexed by it all. I have my stylecraft though, so might make a start on one once I've finished my blanket - I'd like one finished item to spur me on, instead of a load of WIPs, which I can TOTALLY see happening. I have gone a bit crazy on pinterest, and have loads of pretty pictures to inspire me, which is dangerous!

Pinterest is very dangerous. There are so many things on my crochet board that I'll be in my grave before I've even got through half of it.

Talking of finishing things, I've nearly finished dd's hoody although it has taken so long it may be ds2's hoody now. Just the hood to go and then sewing together.

It doesn't give a joining method in my pattern. Any ideas of the best way?

MrsFTHC Thu 12-Sep-13 20:01:27

Checking in here as an absolute beginner crocheter, I started learning last night!! I would like to make a blanket as my first project. It will be for a little boy and I am going to use bright colours, would anyone like to help me come up with some ideas?

Kveta Thu 12-Sep-13 20:58:11

ooh, anyone fancy sharing pinterest boards then?!

MrsF have a look at attic24 for bright colours! granny stripe is lovely smile

and I'm taking part in this crochet a long (mine is the bright one grin) - very simple for a beginner (I only started to crochet a month ago), and no fixed design, just some nice ideas.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 18:43:30

My Pinterest ID is IdrisPad

I daren't look at all the things I have pinned.

This is me. Sorry, I meant to do it yesterday but I've been massively busy with rl. smile

Ooh check out the trainer cake on my cake board. I made a replica of ds1's favourite pair when he turned 17. He loved it.

I'm already following you Soupy. confused

Were you on the Pinterest thread a while back?

SoupDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 19:24:28

Probably!

Kveta Fri 13-Sep-13 19:27:09
MrsFTHC Fri 13-Sep-13 23:08:06

Ooh thanks for the ideas, I like the look of the crochet along and the ripple stitch blanket. Think the ripple stitch will be better once i've practised a bit though! I have a nice blue and green yarn, would a striped blanket with just two colours look odd?

MrsFTHC Sun 15-Sep-13 15:15:04

I have made a start on the crochet along blanket. It isn't great but there is a photo on my profile if you want to check out my progress! I can definitely see how people get hooked on crochet, I think I prefer it to knitting

Kveta Sun 22-Sep-13 08:59:34

That blanket looks lovely so far Mrs smile

I have made some butterfly garlands for myself, and some friends have asked me to make them garlands too, and they will pay me for them!! It's probably wrong that my first thought was 'ooh, I can buy more yarn then!' blush

Haha Kveta, I'd think that too. grin

A friend of mine us going to Yarndale this weekend. I'm so envy I could spit!

Damn dd and her extra curriculars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now