Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

AnyaKnowIt Sun 18-Aug-13 08:29:06

I can't have just the one project on the go shock

plus holding a 4mm hook and dk yarn feels huge now blush

SoupDragon Sun 18-Aug-13 09:41:08

I only ever have one project on the go [prim]

<<kicks two blankets, one bag and 3 bags of blanket squares under the sofa>>
<<whistles>>

AnyaKnowIt Sun 18-Aug-13 10:13:40

you had a ripple blanket on the go for over a year shock

SoupDragon Sun 18-Aug-13 10:16:41

It was a holiday blanket. I was only allowed to crochet it in the sun.
<<ignores other, much older, ripple>>

AnyaKnowIt Sun 18-Aug-13 10:27:45

excuses excuses

Kveta Mon 19-Aug-13 18:56:09

I made a hat for dd this afternoon, it's huge! Should crochet hats be blocked though? If so, how?!

AnyaKnowIt Mon 19-Aug-13 20:15:42

I wouldn't have thought so.

what yarn did you use?

Kveta Mon 19-Aug-13 21:15:44

great, thanks - think it's aran, acrylic/wool blend, but not sure!

AnyaKnowIt Wed 28-Aug-13 19:48:33

I've finished the dress :-) :-) :-)

SoupDragon Thu 29-Aug-13 13:13:18

Yay!

Cocoaone Thu 29-Aug-13 13:41:36

Hello!

I've been browsing through this thread and thought I'd introduce myself. I taught myself (basic) crochet whilst DD was a baby. Made a pram-sized Attic24 ripple and half the granny stripe before going back to work full time. That was 2 years ago now! I've picked it up briefly a few times since, but now I'm wielding the hook again and determined to finish the granny stripe so it's ready for snuggling once the weather turns.

Once it's done, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I want to make my DN2 (due Christmas) a blanket. But I'm completely stumped on pattern/colour/yarn. There are just too many options to choose from!

inthetide Thu 29-Aug-13 14:21:58

Hello again,
I've been here before, in another guise, and am back again for some quick fire advice. I too have a lovely ripple blanket in progress, but now ML is over progress has all but halted.

Ok, first question is hook-related. I thought I'd suggest a nice hook with a comfy handle as a mummy birthday present this year. Any recommendations? I see Attic24 has a clay handle - are they comfy? Is rubbery better?

Next question is to ask you all if you have plans for making Christmas pressies, and if so, what patterns? I was thinking of scarves or the like for mums/sisters, but online time is now so short and Ravelry so big that I thought MN might be my saviour!

AnyaKnowIt Thu 29-Aug-13 14:35:14

I have the clover amour hooks which I love grin

will post a pic of dress later so you can all tell me how wonderful it is grin wink

SoupDragon Thu 29-Aug-13 17:17:33

There are just too many options to choose from!

Make then all! grin

Cocoaone Thu 29-Aug-13 17:27:43

Make them all!

Ha! I haven't dared look at my ravelry account because its full of things I want to make ... And I get swayed too easily and end up with loads of WIPs.

Muttering mantra Must finish granny stripe. Must finish granny stripe. Must finish granny stripe

Soup can I ask how big your ripple is? It's gorgeous btw.

I overestimated how long mine would take. It's about the size of a kingsize bed.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 08:15:20

I briefly read that as "how big is your nipple" at first grin

Mine is not quite as big as a single bed. I call it "sofa snuggling size" - it goes from my toes to my nose (I'm 5'7") and is probably a little under 4ft wide.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 08:16:16

It has made it fairly clear in my mind that I would never have the patience and dedication to make a full sized bed one - double or king!

inthetide Fri 30-Aug-13 10:48:54

The clover amour hooks get a good write up, don't they?

My ripple has 18 colours and I'm planning 5 runs of them all. I'm 3 runs in and beginning to lose the will, but it's big enough to keep me warm on the sofa now grin.

Has anyone tried making a ripple border?

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 12:04:37

To do a ripple border, you'd need to 'ripple" the long edges using different height stitches first and ensure it's the right multiple of stitches.

inthetide Fri 30-Aug-13 13:02:32

Border novice here - is there a set way to count stitches along an edge of triple crochet?

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 13:12:15

Not really - I find that you need about 2.5 stitches per treble crochet.

If you get it wrong, the border will pucker so should be obvious.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 30-Aug-13 13:16:59

king size shock

my ripple is cot bed size grin blush

inthetide Fri 30-Aug-13 13:37:22

Soup, do you have a picture of your Japanese flower scarf?

I know. King size. I wanted to be able to fit four of us under it on the sofa. I didn't realise it would take soooo long though. I'm about half way and I started in February. I do keep doing other things instead though.

How big is your nipple. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now