We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

SoupDragon Thu 04-Apr-13 14:10:44

Is a Jamie dodger someone who tries to avoid an Essex chef?

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 04-Apr-13 14:38:36

grin

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 11-Apr-13 18:24:38

Sidling back in - hello!
Well now I'm on maternity leave I'm in full on crochet mode...
Have finally finished my mum's sofa throw - I think its taken over 8 months and nearly killed me getting it finished. Am never doing another project as big as this again!
Went a bit crazy in the woolshop when I had to get some more dark green and I ended up with some baby wool and it was much more fun to make these...

Sorry its a bit 'me me me' and have only come here when my stuff is finished - there's no one in real life that would appreciate my slightly odd pass time...

So I have a 2 huge balls of acrylic from Aldi - time to go searching on Google and Ravelry for some inspiration!

SoupDragon Thu 11-Apr-13 21:48:47

If you go searching in Ravelry we may never see you again...

I've had great fun over the last month doing little projects. When you look at a finished Big Thing like your throw (looks lovely by the way!) they are great but I find I'm sick of them by the time I get to the end.

SoupDragon Thu 11-Apr-13 21:55:03

I made this for DD last month. Complete with pom pom tail

I also made a few bracelets like this

A bag for me

A felted bag

And my own personal yarn bomb

And a couple of other random things including a hat I currently have no photo of. I have been busy grin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Thu 11-Apr-13 22:02:07

StuckOnARollercoaster - that blanket is stunning. I love the colours and what an impressive size.

Soupy, lovely stuff - the yarnbomb is gorgeous.

SoupDragon Fri 12-Apr-13 08:13:26

Thank you smile It was part of a Ravelry group's scavenger hunt last month- I planned to leave a snake in the reptile section of the local library but it was shut for redecoration!

Doesn't seem to have fixed the weather though - it's pretty much the only sun I've seen for months.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 12-Apr-13 11:59:19

I love the idea of yarn bombing. I'm quite tempted to make some little birds and hang them in the school garden.

SoupDragon Fri 12-Apr-13 12:08:57

I am going to make a nork and take it to Nork to attach to the sign for Nork Road grin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 12-Apr-13 12:26:59

grin Excellent.

MNPin2013 Wed 17-Apr-13 00:04:07

Lovely blanket Stuckonarollercoaster.

You have been busy Soupy.

I am starting but not finishing projects ATM which is annoying tho good use for the tonne of hooks I have collected as each project has it's own hook.

MNPin2013 Wed 17-Apr-13 00:06:46

My aim is to yarn bomb my neighbours in time for Xmas with tree hangings.

All the things you make are so lovely. The ripple blanket I'm making is about that double bed size. It's going to take years I think because I keep leaving it to do other things.

I made a couple of bun nets for dd and her best ballet friend. She was begging me to get her one but I knew I could do it. They only took me 1/2hr each. <proud> I'm sure you lot could do them in about 10!

I've also started on a hoody for dd. It's going ok so far.

SoupDragon Thu 18-Apr-13 10:14:06

I have two unfinished Ripple blankets at the moment.
One unfinished Japanese Flower scarf
One unfinished Billie Blanket
One unfinished dress (not as ambitious as it sounds!)

marissab Thu 18-Apr-13 10:38:44

I've started my first ever crochet clothes item. A coat for my little girl called Eremine. Will try and link on ravelry. Bit mervous as i've only ever done grannies and a flat blanket before. I'm predominently a knitter, but wish me luck! Crochet is way quicker than knitting.

marissab Thu 18-Apr-13 10:42:34

Ermeline : http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ermeline

SoupDragon Thu 18-Apr-13 11:20:24

Good luck! I've not made any clothing - even the dress I mentioned below is just a panel with a fabric skirt sewn on smile

HorsesDogsNails Mon 22-Apr-13 16:38:34

Can I say hello?! I decided today to teach myself to crochet having never done it before!! I saw a magazine that had wool, knitting needles and a crochet hook included so on a bit of a whim I bought it......

I'm practising the basic stitches which are going ok but my little effort is not very square - I think my chains were a bit baggy!! And I can't work out what to hold where, I find it hard to let the wool slip through my fingers while maintaining a tension - I find myself gripping it!

Anyway, I'd like to make some kind of blanket - but not yet..... More practice needed!!!

Can I say hello too? I've just started knitting and I'm very much enjoying that but I also want to try crochet but don't have a crochet needle yet. My mum crochets entire blankets with double stitch technique (is that right?) and they really are lovely but she has never done clothes or hats etc. she is an ace knitter though.

I get knitting. But I can't seem to grasp the concept of crochet, my ten year old dd can do blankets which I think is brilliant but it looks complicated to me.

Any easy YouTube tutorials anyone can recommend.?

I'm sure there are others who will point you in a good direction but I went on YouTube and found Girlybunches. She's English and very good.

maxmissie Fri 26-Apr-13 22:37:53

I'll also say hello too, am only just beginning and still learning the very basics! Am not a crafty person at all and am hopeless at sewing and knitting but have been inspired by the Woolly Hugs so am going to give it a go! Am very inspired by the lovely things you are all making, can't imagine I will ever make anything similar!

I've been using Craftyminx.com to learn the basics which is good so far but is American so will need to remember that they call the stitches by slightly different names I think. She has left and right handed videos as well which is helpful.

SoupDragon Sat 04-May-13 08:39:30

Ah... just about to fall off the list!

WElcome newcomers smile

I may have just accidentally ordered £50 of assorted Drops yarn from WoolWarehouse hmm

Because obviously I do not have enough here already...

kelbop Sun 05-May-13 23:06:46

Sorry only just found mumsnet despite having two DCs. I'm currently hooking a sun hat loosley based on a ravelry pattern for my five month old - really hope its done before we get some sun!!

I can't get the hang of crochet at all. I can't even make the initial chains. I've tried right handed as I knit right handed anyway, even though I'm a leftie. But still no luck confused

SoupDragon Thu 09-May-13 19:27:39

Have you tried watching left handed How To videos on you tube?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now