Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

Do you have a tumble drier? I so, try putting it in for the last 10 minutes of a cycle where it cools the load down. I've found the tumbling softens things up sometimes.

Seabright Fri 25-Jan-13 22:52:55

It certainly works on towels, they are the only things I tumble dry & the difference is amazing & a bit weird, frankly!

PurpleFrog Fri 25-Jan-13 23:30:00

Trainers - is it dry yet? My first Hug was in Stylecraft and it felt squeaky and stiff after washing but dried soft again.

Stylecraft is horrible when even slightly damp.

TrainersNotHeels Sat 26-Jan-13 17:58:40

It is dry now and still a bit stiff. I'm going to try it in the tumbledrier. Should I just put it in on it's own dry or with a few damp things?

Glad to see that my fellow crocheters understand the importance of this crisis grin

I'd try it by itself for the cooling 10 minutes or so at the end of the drying cycle.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 27-Jan-13 20:15:33

How is the banket Trainers?

Hopefully it has softened up nicely.

I've just finished a cushion cover

Now I'm trying to decide whether to finish another unfinished project, start something new using my existing stash, or order new yarn fo a new project.

Somersaults Sun 27-Jan-13 20:43:28

The waves pattern on that cushion cover is gorgeous! It looks stunning, well done!

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 27-Jan-13 20:46:24

Thank you - I am really pleased with it. I'm thinking of using the same pattern to make a blanket but I can't decided whther to make it using lots of colours (either random or with some kind of organised colour progression) or a limited selection of colours

Somersaults Sun 27-Jan-13 20:51:11

Personally I know what I would do but I'm going to keep it to myself so I don't influence your decision! I think all would look fab as the pattern is so lovely.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 27-Jan-13 20:54:20

Nooo, go on influence me smile

I'm leaning towards blues and greens with parchment but I'm not sure

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 27-Jan-13 21:02:43

Or maybe a crochet version of this or Like the top picture

Somersaults Sun 27-Jan-13 21:25:44

See I was definitely leaning towards a small colour palette until you showed me those pictures!

Love the cushion smile

I did a similar , but more random/freestyle, wave for my "Welsh Landscape" square for LemonTruffles. I love the different thickness of all the rows.

Currently I am trying to crochet barnacles out of string because I want to make this. I think I may need to buy some "craft cotton" yarn though. Which means I'll have to buy other stuff to in order to get free postage.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:53:44

Love the barnacle crochet - I'm sure the rule is that you have to order extra stuff to get the free postage.

I did order extra stuff but not enough for the free postage shock I was very restrained.

I do have a blanket's worth of Rico Creative Cotton, a blankets worth of Cashermino silk aran, a drawer full of Stylecraft and a cotton kapok blanket to finish. Plus some baby bamboo to make 2 Japanese flower scarves. And the miscellaneous assortment of yarn from car boot/charity shops.

I am determined to finish those stocks first!

I have made two string barnacles. I think a mix of string and the craft cotton (3 shades) will make a good mix of textures. I have a frame from Ikea which I broke the glass for and hung onto in a this will be useful kind of way.

The good thing is that the barnacles are very portable!

TrainersNotHeels Wed 30-Jan-13 14:38:06

Blanket tumble dried and on its way to Pistey so will wait for a verdict from her!

Quick question, has anyone made a baby blanket from RICO creative cotton? How did it turn out? I'm a bit traumatised about using stylecraft now (original plan)!

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 30-Jan-13 17:19:28

I haven't used Rico creative cotton - I can recommend Sirdar Baby Bamboo - I've made several blankets from it and I really like the finish.

The Sirdar Baby Bamboo is perhaps my favourite yarn. It gives a lovely finish and the blanket is a nice weight. Baby cotton kapok (can't remember... May be by Sublime) is also nice with less sheen. Sirdar White Whispers is nice, but only if you want shades of white!

I have a box of the Rico waiting to be made into a polkadot blanket but I've not started it.

TrainersNotHeels Wed 30-Jan-13 21:05:14

Ooooh, what is this polka dot blanket of which you speak soupy? grin

Not sure dh will understand if I NEED to buy a whole other stash of wool. Mind you what he doesn't know... grin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 30-Jan-13 21:21:33

Trainers - I somehow accidently had my last lot of yarn delivered to work.
Although DH just laughs when more arrives and says that he is pleased we are well prepared for the predicted world shortage of yarn (mind you, he says the same thing about boots, handbags and perfume)

Um... Look at the 3rd square along the top on this. My polkadot blanket will basically be single-coloured circles surrounded by a white square. Possibly the circles will be a variety of sizes - I've not decided yet!

I am now crocheting coral to go with my barnacles grin

As a lone parent, I have no need to justify my yarn purchases to anyone but myself grin

Pantryboy has done a dotty blanket - in fact if you look in the link she gave for her cushion a few posts back, I think it's hanging over the sofa back. I want smaller circles and more white on mine I think. Because white is such a practical choice with 3 children, 2 cats and a spaniel hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now