Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

StuckOnARollercoaster Mon 07-Jan-13 14:28:21

Happy New Year all its been a long time!

I ended up not having any time for crochet towards the end of last year but for a good reason - was tired and sick because I finally got pregnant!!! A good thing I kept this thread in my watch list!

This means mum's christmas present of a big sofa throw is now going to be a mothers day present. So far its 8x8 squares big but I need to get it to at least 12x12 which I have just calculated is an extra 80 squares on top of the 64 - that's more than double what I've done so far!
As soon as that's done its time to start looking at baby blanket patterns! I can't wait.

p.s. pantry boy - if your DH is after a floppy beanie type hat - I made this one year and the stitch looks like a 'knit' even though its crocheted. Its worked sideways and then you sew it up and looks better in real life than the photo. here

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Mon 07-Jan-13 18:13:10

Congratulations StuckOnARollercoaster what lovely news

Thanks for the link but the one he wants is this If anyone knows of a similar crochet pattern I'd be delighted to avoid the dereaded knitting.

Happy New Year all and congratulations Stuck!

I've finally uploaded a picture of my crocheted nativity. I did manage to get it done in time for Christmas in the end. My favourite part was the donkey. I like his little legs.

Really really fiddly and repetitive, but not in an enjoyable way like rippling. Have been asked to make another one for cash but I don't think I can face it!

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 11-Jan-13 20:13:04

Bill - your nativty is amazing

Isn't that hat basically a Santa hat?

Somersaults Fri 11-Jan-13 23:23:48

I've been wanting to make something for DD since I learned to crochet as I keep making things for other people and I've done nothing for her! She has lovely handmade blankets and clothes from her grandmothers so she doesn't need anything like that. I finally decided tonight that I'm going to start by doing her a doll's blanket. She's 13mo and just starting to hug her doll and push it in the little buggy. DH is going to dig out and mend the doll's rocking cradle that was mine as a child and I'm going to make her a blanket for it. I'm so excited I needed to share! I've done the first sixth or quarter of it tonight (depends how big it gets!) and I'm so pleased with it. It's pretty and girly without being all pink and I love it! And it's so lovely to finally be making something for her smile

PurplePidjin Sat 12-Jan-13 10:46:09

Happy hooky New Year everybody!

Congragulations, Stuck thanks

I'm afraid i dropped off due to rl - PidjChick is nearly 8 weeks now and dp had a stroke a couple of weeks ago so things have been a little manic hmm

Rudolph hat is on my profile, and I've made him a bunny one for easter which has led to a few orders... Haven't got any actual cash yet but it won't be long grin

Somersaults Sat 12-Jan-13 10:49:40

Pidj I'm so sorry to hear about your DP. Thinking about you [hugs]

And I can't believe PidjChick is 8 wo already! That's gone so fast!

Theodora Sat 12-Jan-13 13:56:46

Pidj, so sorry to hear about your partner. That's really shocking. How is he now?
How are you coping?sad
Best wishes, hope he's recovering well x

PurplePidjin Sat 12-Jan-13 14:11:36

He's fine, just hung a load of nappies up! I've learned to crochet around PidjChick, he's in his sling now and I've made a hat grin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sat 12-Jan-13 14:13:28

Glad to hear DP is making progress Pidj.

Soupy - I hadn't thought of it as a Santa hat - I shall look at your link later when I am on the laptop. I think I was so bamboozled by the fact it was knitted I couldn't think straight smile

MNPin2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:59:44

Glad DP is on the mend Pidj and wow really *Pidjchick is 8 going on 9 weeks old, boy how time flies, tho current work baby is 14 tomorrow and it seems like only yesterday I was awaiting her return home at 29hrs old.

Woolfey Thu 24-Jan-13 10:44:46

Hello fellow hookers. Am after some advice on putting together blanket squares. This is the first big blanket I've made. It's for DD1 and I'm now nearing the end of my 96 squares.

I am ok with actually hooking them together but just wondered how people organised themselves whilst doing it? I was thinking I just lay them out on the floor in the design then number the rows and squares and put them in bags maybe per row? What does everyone else do?

I took a photo of how I wanted it laid out. Then I packed up the squares into the lines I would be hooking them into first and had them in piles in my basket - bags would be a good idea for a big blanket though, mine only had 24 squares each. I checked I was using the right square against my photo.

Owl wrist warmers. It's a bad photo as it is a)n blurry and b) they are actually a bright purple with purple metallic flecks, not blue!

Woolfey Thu 24-Jan-13 12:27:37

Thanks, I didn't think of a photo. It's just so many squares it'll be a nightmare to fix if I get them in the wrong order, or backwards or something. Blanket for DD2 will definitely be less squares!

I'm liking the owls. V cute smile

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Thu 24-Jan-13 18:10:48

I lay my squares out, then I take a photo, then I stack them in rows.

As I am hooking together I check I have the right square.

Mind you, the last two bankets I made I used a join-as-you-go method and I loved not having to make up the blanket at the end

I tried join-as-you-go with the Little Hug I did and really hated it. I think I must have been doing it wrong.

Woolfey Thu 24-Jan-13 19:17:53

Thanks PantryBoy. Everything I've read about join as you go has been negative so I thought as it's my first blanket I better keep it simple and do the standard way. Which method do you use? I might use it as Soupy did on a little hug and see how I get on with it. When this blanket is finished I have to start another one for DD2, with regular breaks from it for my little & angel hugs.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Thu 24-Jan-13 21:27:26

The join-as-you-go clicked for me when I made a hexagon blanket.
I'll see if I can find a link to the method I used and post it

MNPin2013 Fri 25-Jan-13 00:59:26

I made a large throw and tacked it together and unsnapped as I came to each square, I did the long joins first then the cross joins, I had big squares, small squares and long rectangles.

For a small hug I use little plastic stitch markers to hold them in place.

Not tried the join as you go method...yet.

Woolfey Fri 25-Jan-13 06:42:56

Ah stitch markers are a good idea too. I could use them to get each row in the right order when out of their row bags. I've got lots of them hanging around too.

I think I'll make squares for my Billie's Blanket and try out a join as you go method on that...er once I've finished DD1's large blanket that is, and my little hug and the spider I'm supposed to be making DD1, not to mention the heart I thought I'd do for DH for Valentines...never enough hours in the day.

Thanks for all the excellent advice, knew you lovely hookers would be full of wonderful ideas! It's so nice to be able to get help from people who actually know what they're doing thanks thanks thanks

people who actually know what they're doing

In which case, don't listen to a word I say! I'm clueless grin

Seabright Fri 25-Jan-13 07:24:14

Hi, haven't checked in for a while. I'm making a ripple blanket not, having got a Deramores Lucy Pack for Christmas. Loving working with so many colours.

TrainersNotHeels Fri 25-Jan-13 20:16:31

CRISIS alert! I have finished my woolly hug in stylecraft DK, gave it a quick wash before I sent it off and it's gone all squeaky and a bit stiff, it's not soft any more sad sad sad
What can I do to make it lovely again? I definitely washed it at the right temperature (in fact it says to wash at 40 degrees but I did it on 30)

<wails>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now