Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

Thanks for your replies, I did find a video on You Tube last night so followed that, (pausing and playing and lots of rewinding) resulting in a sort of square. The actual squre part is "loopy" but I suppose I could just do a simple "granny square" instead of the loopy ? (photo on my profile). My trouble is, I can follow a demo but can't make head nor tale of a pattern lol
Jumped thanks for the tip, might have a look out for that book on my shopping trip tomorrow.

JollyOldChristmas Wed 19-Dec-12 21:31:57

If you look on ravelry some.of the patterns have photo tutorials.

There's one here that I.found on.ravelry - barbinchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/flower-square-pattern.html?m=1

Sorry about my.inability to type. Had a long day and typing on my phone is difficult.

Wow thanks for that Jolly might be easier than play, pause, rewind etc.
Your typing looks fine to me grin

hobnob57 Thu 20-Dec-12 22:15:42

I'm hooked. Rudolph hat for ds done, cloche hat for dd done, cowl for dd done. Rudolph hat for friend sold. Now on commission for a hungry caterpillar cocoon for a photographer friend. What I really want to do it attic24's flower petal cushion. I'm at a bit of a loss at how much to ask for when doing things for others (who have offered to pay). At least the cost of the yarn, but how much more?

Am I going mad, or is this pattern wrong (US)?
on a 24 stitch round, the instructions are (after ch1 after slip stitching the round together):
2dc in next dc dc 2, 2dc (36) - I get 32?

hobnob57 Thu 20-Dec-12 22:17:42

That's meant to be 2dc in next DC, * dc 2, 2dc * (36)

DIssolved brain tonight.

hobnob57 Thu 20-Dec-12 23:02:20

got it sussed. dodgy pattern grin

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 20-Dec-12 23:09:04

grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 07:58:47

smile

I"ve done nothing.

Well, the 2nd refuge blanket is all together and I'm halfway through the first row round of the border but that is dull.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Fri 21-Dec-12 16:29:26

What border are you doing, Soupy?

I did 4" of ribbed hat border at knitting group today, ds needed feeding! It's nice being fussed over though wink hopefully he'll get into a routine soon - i need this hat for a baby due 8/1 and an easter chick hat, design yet to materialise in my head, both paid commissions!

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 17:29:19

At the moment I'm just doing a couple of plain rounds to neaten it up. Then I shall wing it grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 17:30:14

By the time he's in a routine he'll be crawling and messing with your yarn wink

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Fri 21-Dec-12 17:33:47

I'm so glad other people just wing it - I usually have a bit of an idea for a border which I try and then I just fudge the corners. Of course, by the time I get to corner number 4 I have worked out exactly how to do a lovely corner but it is too late for the other three.
If I was neat and organised I would test things out but I just dive straight in.

I've just ordered some lovely Debbie Bliss Andes, some from Ebay too good to miss and some from Deramores, I'm just trying to find a project worthy of the yarn now.

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 17:54:37

I got some really thick (chunky? Super chunky?) yarn from a charity sho earlier this week. I think it has some wool content as it itches (I can't wear wool). I tried to make some wrist warmers with it using my fattest needle but they are far too firm sad I don't know what to do with it now! Still, it was virtually free grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sat 22-Dec-12 11:41:22

Pidj, please tell me you've made these for Christmas Day!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sat 22-Dec-12 12:04:11

Aw, bless! Just the reindeer hat this year grin

Daisybell1 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:37:33

Hobnob, I faced a similar dilemma when making hats for a local little girl who had lost all her hair. Mum and I agreed the cost of wool, plus half the pattern cost and then a little bit for my time.

For more 'commercial' arrangements friends who do craft fairs say about £12-15 for a kiddies hat.

Does this help?

hobnob57 Sat 22-Dec-12 16:59:28

yes, thanks daisy, I can work it out from there. I undercharged for the rudolph hat by quite a long way!

just run out of yarn for the cocoon sad

SoupDragon Mon 31-Dec-12 11:16:10

Just spamming a few threads with news that the second Refuge blanket from Team Hooker is done. All parcelled up and ready to go.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 02-Jan-13 20:13:56

Another lovely blanket Soupy. Thank you for all your hard work in co-ordinating it.

I've just finished a blanket for the cat here

DH wants me to go over to the darkside he has found a hat he wants me to knit for him
Bless the man, he is totally undetered by the fact I can hardly knit and has complete faith in me. I've been trying to find a similar crochet pattern but I may have to bite the bullet and try and make it for him.

Somersaults Thu 03-Jan-13 22:24:07

Sorry ladies, I dropped off the face of the earth for a while there whilst life got the better of me but I'm back smile

Have recently completed a baby poncho, an owl iPod cover, a load of snowflake and stars Christmas decorations and a shell stitch baby hat. I'm proud of my productivity! Just started on a little cardi for DD then I'm going to do some fingerless gloves for me. Although it could be summer by the time I get round to them!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas x

Daisybell1 Fri 04-Jan-13 08:10:23

Crochet was mentioned in The Hobbit!!!! grin

An crocheting hats with a frenzy at the mo as have several orders from friends... Dd (15mo) has started picking up the hooks and digging them into balls of yarn. It'll not be long before I can employ her in my hat-making sweatshop she wants to join in.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 11:19:55

Surely Bilbo isn't a Hooker grin

I have lots of plans for 2013 but first I need to finish all my UFOs and the unstarted projects (USPs?) for which I already have the yarn.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 11:20:31

Lovely blanket Pantry but.... for the cat??! Really? What a pampered puss grin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 04-Jan-13 16:52:28

He is a spoilt cat - although I have to say he is suitably appreciative although SmallDog keeps trying to sleep on it I shall have to make him one as well

I went at looked at knitting needles today but I chickened out. I've decided when I've finished my current crochet WIPs I may try and make DH the hat he wants knitting although I can't knit and the pattern looks complicated

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 17:12:27

I picked up some knitting needles in a charity shop a few weeks back. I don't actually want to learn to knit but I need to get rid of the emotional response it sets off whenever I hear the word. It still sets my teeth on edge thinking about the wool on my fingers (which is odd, I agree, given I can crochet!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now