Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

HaveToWearHeels Wed 19-Dec-12 13:40:54

Thanks for your replies, I did find a video on You Tube last night so followed that, (pausing and playing and lots of rewinding) resulting in a sort of square. The actual squre part is "loopy" but I suppose I could just do a simple "granny square" instead of the loopy ? (photo on my profile). My trouble is, I can follow a demo but can't make head nor tale of a pattern lol
Jumped thanks for the tip, might have a look out for that book on my shopping trip tomorrow.

JollyOldChristmas Wed 19-Dec-12 21:31:57

If you look on ravelry some.of the patterns have photo tutorials.

There's one here that I.found on.ravelry - barbinchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/flower-square-pattern.html?m=1

Sorry about my.inability to type. Had a long day and typing on my phone is difficult.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 19-Dec-12 21:43:30

Wow thanks for that Jolly might be easier than play, pause, rewind etc.
Your typing looks fine to me grin

hobnob57 Thu 20-Dec-12 22:15:42

I'm hooked. Rudolph hat for ds done, cloche hat for dd done, cowl for dd done. Rudolph hat for friend sold. Now on commission for a hungry caterpillar cocoon for a photographer friend. What I really want to do it attic24's flower petal cushion. I'm at a bit of a loss at how much to ask for when doing things for others (who have offered to pay). At least the cost of the yarn, but how much more?

Am I going mad, or is this pattern wrong (US)?
on a 24 stitch round, the instructions are (after ch1 after slip stitching the round together):
2dc in next dc dc 2, 2dc (36) - I get 32?

hobnob57 Thu 20-Dec-12 22:17:42

That's meant to be 2dc in next DC, * dc 2, 2dc * (36)

DIssolved brain tonight.

hobnob57 Thu 20-Dec-12 23:02:20

got it sussed. dodgy pattern grin

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 20-Dec-12 23:09:04

grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 07:58:47

smile

I"ve done nothing.

Well, the 2nd refuge blanket is all together and I'm halfway through the first row round of the border but that is dull.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Fri 21-Dec-12 16:29:26

What border are you doing, Soupy?

I did 4" of ribbed hat border at knitting group today, ds needed feeding! It's nice being fussed over though wink hopefully he'll get into a routine soon - i need this hat for a baby due 8/1 and an easter chick hat, design yet to materialise in my head, both paid commissions!

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 17:29:19

At the moment I'm just doing a couple of plain rounds to neaten it up. Then I shall wing it grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 17:30:14

By the time he's in a routine he'll be crawling and messing with your yarn wink

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Fri 21-Dec-12 17:33:47

I'm so glad other people just wing it - I usually have a bit of an idea for a border which I try and then I just fudge the corners. Of course, by the time I get to corner number 4 I have worked out exactly how to do a lovely corner but it is too late for the other three.
If I was neat and organised I would test things out but I just dive straight in.

I've just ordered some lovely Debbie Bliss Andes, some from Ebay too good to miss and some from Deramores, I'm just trying to find a project worthy of the yarn now.

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 21-Dec-12 17:54:37

I got some really thick (chunky? Super chunky?) yarn from a charity sho earlier this week. I think it has some wool content as it itches (I can't wear wool). I tried to make some wrist warmers with it using my fattest needle but they are far too firm sad I don't know what to do with it now! Still, it was virtually free grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sat 22-Dec-12 11:41:22

Pidj, please tell me you've made these for Christmas Day!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sat 22-Dec-12 12:04:11

Aw, bless! Just the reindeer hat this year grin

Daisybell1 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:37:33

Hobnob, I faced a similar dilemma when making hats for a local little girl who had lost all her hair. Mum and I agreed the cost of wool, plus half the pattern cost and then a little bit for my time.

For more 'commercial' arrangements friends who do craft fairs say about £12-15 for a kiddies hat.

Does this help?

hobnob57 Sat 22-Dec-12 16:59:28

yes, thanks daisy, I can work it out from there. I undercharged for the rudolph hat by quite a long way!

just run out of yarn for the cocoon sad

SoupDragon Mon 31-Dec-12 11:16:10

Just spamming a few threads with news that the second Refuge blanket from Team Hooker is done. All parcelled up and ready to go.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 02-Jan-13 20:13:56

Another lovely blanket Soupy. Thank you for all your hard work in co-ordinating it.

I've just finished a blanket for the cat here

DH wants me to go over to the darkside he has found a hat he wants me to knit for him
Bless the man, he is totally undetered by the fact I can hardly knit and has complete faith in me. I've been trying to find a similar crochet pattern but I may have to bite the bullet and try and make it for him.

Somersaults Thu 03-Jan-13 22:24:07

Sorry ladies, I dropped off the face of the earth for a while there whilst life got the better of me but I'm back smile

Have recently completed a baby poncho, an owl iPod cover, a load of snowflake and stars Christmas decorations and a shell stitch baby hat. I'm proud of my productivity! Just started on a little cardi for DD then I'm going to do some fingerless gloves for me. Although it could be summer by the time I get round to them!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas x

Daisybell1 Fri 04-Jan-13 08:10:23

Crochet was mentioned in The Hobbit!!!! grin

An crocheting hats with a frenzy at the mo as have several orders from friends... Dd (15mo) has started picking up the hooks and digging them into balls of yarn. It'll not be long before I can employ her in my hat-making sweatshop she wants to join in.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 11:19:55

Surely Bilbo isn't a Hooker grin

I have lots of plans for 2013 but first I need to finish all my UFOs and the unstarted projects (USPs?) for which I already have the yarn.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 11:20:31

Lovely blanket Pantry but.... for the cat??! Really? What a pampered puss grin

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 04-Jan-13 16:52:28

He is a spoilt cat - although I have to say he is suitably appreciative although SmallDog keeps trying to sleep on it I shall have to make him one as well

I went at looked at knitting needles today but I chickened out. I've decided when I've finished my current crochet WIPs I may try and make DH the hat he wants knitting although I can't knit and the pattern looks complicated

SoupDragon Fri 04-Jan-13 17:12:27

I picked up some knitting needles in a charity shop a few weeks back. I don't actually want to learn to knit but I need to get rid of the emotional response it sets off whenever I hear the word. It still sets my teeth on edge thinking about the wool on my fingers (which is odd, I agree, given I can crochet!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now